For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Creating a fabric with Connectrix 5300B and new G620

Hello all,

We have purchased new Storage arrays and G620 SAN switches to refresh our old infrastructure.  Currently we have 4 x Connectrix 5300B Switches running FOS 7.0.2c.  These are split up into 2 seperate Fabrics A and B spanning our 2 datacenters (2 switches in each datacenter on 2 seperate fabrics).  We have purchased 4 x G620s which I only assume are running FOS 8.x since we have not recieved them yet.  

My idea to make things easiest was to extend our current fabrics including the DS5300B switches and add the g620s in so that we can then federate the storage arrays and easily Storage vmotion our workloads.

This means I would connect the new g620s via ISL and extend each fabric by 2 switches.  At the conclusion of the migration I want to decomission the old switches.

While I realize I may need to upgrade the FOS of the old switches I have looked around quite a bit in compatibility guides and I cannot seem to find any information if this is possible or not or they are too old.  Please let me know if you guys have any kind of insight here and if it isnt clear.

Best Regards,
Ed

New Contributor

Re: Creating a fabric with Connectrix 5300B and new G620

FYI I just noted these are called Brocade 5300 when not EMC branded and they are supported with 8.x when they are on FOS 7.3.1 and higher.  

However, are there any gotchas or anything I should look at with extending a fabric then decomissioning the old switches?

Thanks,
Ed

Highlighted
External Moderator

@eczerwin

see for example this threads

https://community.brocade.com/t5/Fibre-Channel-SAN-Forums/Switch-replacement/m-p/99055#M29466

additional, if you are confident that MultiPath is working, after create a ISL, then you can begin to move / unplug / plug, from 5300 to new G620

For ISL Port, i would suggest to set the Port at both site Fixed at 8Gb and not AN

finally, when all is migrate to G620, verify with the command "fabricprincipal" if the G620 become as principal, if no set it.

for details refer the command reference manuals.

now, you can shutdown the old 5300.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi Antonio,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

Regards,
Ed

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.