For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Re: 200-16E

Hello TechHelp24

Many thanks for you help on this, & I'm sorry if I am causing you a headache.:(

I cleared the information I had on the switches, and started again. I have attached a shot of the cfgshow, if you could take a look, I have probably got it wrong again

Many thanks

Phil:D

Anonymous

TechHelp,

Just so I understand your answer correctly...you are saying that "trunking" does not make sense on the 200E switch? If trunking doesn't make sense on a 200E, could you elaborate or expand your answer?

If I were to purchase 2 more switches, what is Brocade stance on the recommended configuration? Trunk SW1 and SW3, SW2 and SW4?

OR

Trunk SW1 to SW3 and SW4, and Trunk SW2 to SW3 and SW4?

External Moderator

Hi Phil,

--->>>.......I have probably got it wrong again...

Correct ,but not Problem.;)

Exact as Follow:

Defined configuration:

cfg: SQL_CFG

zone: SQL_Zone_1

HBA1;Arr_Port_0

1,0; 2,0;

zone: SQL_Zone_2

HBA2;Arr_Port_1

1,1; 2,1;

alias: HBA1 1,0;

alias: HBA2 2,0

alias: Arr_Port_0 1,1

alias: Arr_Port_1 2,1

TechHelp24
Highlighted
External Moderator

Odurasler,

do you know a difference beetwen ISL and ISL Trunk ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Anonymous

TechHelp,

I didn't know that there was a difference between ISL and ISL Trunking. I thought those words were synanomous with one another. But if I had to guess, ISL Trunking allows for aggregation of bandwidth while ISL doesn't.

ISL Trunking cost money.

If we are using the wrong terminalogy in our questions, please point it out. All we're trying to do is expand our Brocade knowledge in this forum.

External Moderator

odurasler,

--->>>...ISL Trunking allows for aggregation of bandwidth while ISL doesn't.

Is correct, and i mean does not make sense to use Trunking in a small Fabric.

Usually is Trunk in a Large Fabric with Core/Edge topology, for higher Bandwidth, and i dont think that you need in their small fabric with 200 switches a Trunk for Higher bandwidth.

In a old threads you spoken from replace the 200 with 5000, i am sure that make here more sense to replace the 200 with the New 5100 switch , as follow reason:

The 5100, are 8GB capable... integrated routing... last generaton switch ( for next FabOS generation ) ... and much more.

This is the correct upgrade you need.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi TechHelp24

I have re-done the config, as per your guide, Looking at the config. I guess that I would create a config and then create as many zones as I need, Can you add the array port to more than one zone ? As you may have more than one server looking at the same storage on the array ?

Best Regards

Phil

Contributor

Hello TechHelp24

Many thanks for your time and patients and help with the Brocade setup

I Believe It is now working, I just need get familair with the setup

Regards

Phil:D

External Moderator

Phil,

sorry, but i just see you last threads from 26. Sep 3, 2008 12:53 AM

Do you have the problem solved ?

Antonio

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi Antonio

I think the config works, I have tested it by failing one of the fabrics and the data is still copied, I also did a test where I failed one switch in each fabric i.e Fabric_A switch 1 and Fabric_B switch 2, the limitation to this is that you will lose one server depending one which switch/s are failed, but this type of failure is highly unlikely. and down to the limitations on the server, in my case only one HBA with 2 ports, to get around this I would need another HBA with 2 ports, but we don't have an endless amount of money.

When you fail just a fabric either A or B the servers still have access to the array.

I have attached the cfgshow, could you have a look, as your input is appreciated

Phil

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.