For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Anonymous

Re: Using FTP Function with Brocade 12000

if the FOS is a widows version try putting \Switch_Downloads\v4.4.2b\release.plist . Again this is based on my practical experiences.

It happens sometimes FTP does not get the correct path, have you given the path in FTP change directory option

Anonymous

Just a couple of things that might help here...

Normally in a windows ftp setup (I assume windows ftp) the root directory for the ftp server is c:\inetpub\ftproot. Exctract the firmware package to that directory so you should end up with c:\inetpub\ftproot\v4.4.2b and all the associated files in that directory.

Issue you firmwaredownload command and the location will be /v.4.42b (I have had instances with the older firmware wanting a futher path of /v4.4.2b/v4.4.2b) Use whatever username and password that is valid or if anonymous is usable, just leave the username and password blank.

Hope that helps...

Anonymous

or if you can try on a  UNIX machine and download the UNIX version of FOS and try to do FO Supgrade. It will be easy for you.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Everyone - I've added few responses that missed in thread...

reply from eric.wilkins in Data Center

I have taken everyone's request and applied it I believe as you can see in the text output below, and I still have the same delimna. I don't have the folder 4.4.2b any longer because I took the contents of that folder and placed it into the root of C:\Switch_Downloads

Brocade12000:admin> firmwaredownload -s 10.4.7.13
Server Name or IP Address: 10.4.4.67
User Name: hitachi
File Name: \Switch_Downloads\release.plist
Password:
Do Auto-Commit after Reboot : y
Reboot system after download : y
Firmwaredownload has started.
Cannot download Pfile ftp://hitachi:<password>@10.4.4.67/SWBD10/\Switch_Downloads\release.plist.
Firmwaredownload failed. (0x12) Can't access package list (.plist) file.
File Name: C:\Switch_Downloads\release.plist
Password:
Cannot download Pfile ftp://hitachi:<password>@10.4.4.67/SWBD10/C:\Switch_Downloads\release.plist.
File Name: /Switch_Downloads/release.plist
Password:
Cannot download Pfile ftp://hitachi:<password>@10.4.4.67//Switch_Downloads/SWBD10/release.plist.

reply from andy.woodward in Data Center

If you removed the folder name, try /Switch_Downloads as the path, make sure it is a forward slash and nothing else...

Cheers..

Andy

reply from ABBA-SYSTEMS in Data Center

ftp://hitachi is incorrect FTP address

--->>> firmwaredownload -s 10.4.7.13

the command is wrong, you may have to use only "firmwaredownload" , no -s operand and noting of IP address.

About the character "\" you my have to use as mentioned in my preview post and as mention now from Andy

Another stupid question please , are you familiary with FTP configuration ?

Are you able to create a remote connection ?

ABBA - I have already tried /Switch_Downloads already without the "-s'" command.

Also, 'hitachi' is not the FTP site, it's the username only.

from preview post the output show as ftp address

ftp://hitachi:<password>@10.4.4.67/SWBD10/C:\Switch_Downloads\release.plist.

ftp://hitachi

ABBA- First off, I'm not using an appilcation that runs as an FTP service on my XP machine, not an actual full blown FTP Server.

OK...

what happens when you bring up a DOS window and type "ftp 10.4.4.67" without the quotes?

If you get a login for a user and put in hitachi and then your password, can you type(no quotes) "ls" and see all the firmware files?

Hhhmmm, it says "connection refused"...to be a littel more clear, I use a apllication called 3CDaemon, to make my XP machine look like an FTP server.

I'm starting to think it's maybe a firewall issue - all the copmuters I can try are on the same subnet unfortunately. So, it's either my laptop, because the same problem happens when I'm right in fron of the switch connected to the active CP or something else.

Unfortunately the process has worked many times before, and I don't handle our corporate firewall. So, maybe I should ask our security guys what has changed.

go to my Post 1. Aug 8, 2010 12:45 PM /4.0.6/images/transparent.png in response to: eric.wilkins

such FTP Apllication like Alex FTP or 3CDaemon are not supported by Brocade.

Andy - Actually it worked the second time around for me, so go figure. It connected to the FTP server as it should.

Connected to 10.4.4.67

220 3Com 3CDaemon FTP Server Version 2.0

User (10.4.4.67:(none)):

Have you tried turning off the XP firewall?If that does not help then I would try using the XP ftp service, which is easliy activated, and then try using it instead of the 3CDaemon..The root folder will then be c:\inetpub\ftproot, put the firmware there and try again.

Yeah, the XP firewall is already disabled, it always has been. But certainly I will give windows FTP function a shot and see if that works and provide feedback it does.

Thanks!

Please continue your responses from here....

Contributor

Andy,

I went directly to the switch and telnet in via serail and it took a little longer to process the firmwaredownload command, but still failed at seeing the release.plist file.

Very odd, but so I'm thoroughly lost - I can get this process to run with newere switches just fine, but this Brocade 12000 is giving me a fit.

The command I used was the following:

firmwaredownload

/SwitchFTPDownloads/v4.4.2b/v4.4.2b/release.plist

Very oddd bug...

Anonymous

I'm assuming your are now using the windows ftp and you have a dirctory in \ftproot called switchftpdownloads withe firmware extracted there.

I have found that the older firmware needs this path /SwitchFTPDownloads/v4.4.2b/v4.4.2b, don't add the /release.plist to the end...

See if that works

Cheeers

Andy

Anonymous

I understand your worries.I have faced the same.But believe me, I used unix machine and unix version of FOS.I did it. So I will suggest try it with UNIX version. you can contact ur sw vendor, but I doubt if it not under AMC, you have to do it urself.

Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

We had similar problems the first few times we tried performing a firmware upgrade of a 12000 and other Brocade san switches. from a windows based FTP server.

The main problem we encountered was that we were specifying the filename incorrectly.

To determine the correct filename format to use for either a windowxs of unix based FTP server, we:

1. ran the windows supplied FTP client from a windows command line.  In this case the command will be ftp 10.4.4.67
  2. logged on to the FTP server as user userid  and supplied the correct password (yyyyy for example).
  3. once we were successfully logged on to the FTP cserver and had the ftp session command prompt, we entered command ls to list out all the files in the defualt ftp root directory on the FTP server.
    In my case, the default ftp root for my ftp session was located at directory  C:\iFtpSvc\JL\users\Guest\ and Fabric OS (FOS) installer subdirectories v5.0.1b, v5.0.4a, etc. were listed out by the ls command.
    If your FOS installs are located in a lower directory (dddddd say) then you can use the FTP cd dddddd command to change the ftp session root to that directory
  4. in this example to firmwaredownload  FOS v5.0.1b to the san switch I'd specify the filename as v5.0.1b/release.plist
    If the FOS package is located in directory  release.plist   then our filename would be dddddd/v5.0.1b/release.plist

So the firmwaredownload command I'd use in this case for a normal fully automated firmware upgrade would be:

firmwaredownload 10.4.4.67,userid,v5.0.1b/release.plist,yyyyy

Please note that the file release.plist normally missing from the base FOS package directory (eg C:\iFtpSvc\JL\users\Guest\v5.0.1b\). In our example, the firmwaredownload command running on san switch <switchtype> normally looks for file v5.0.1b/<switchtype>/release.plist to confirm that this FOS version supports this san switch type.  I believe that a 12000 normally uses a <switchtype> string like SWBD10

Hope this helps

Jonathan.

Contributor

Jonathan, thanks for your help, I have solved this issue now. The 'ls' command and verifying 'root' directory helped. Also, I believe a smal bug with my 3rd party FTP appilcation (3C Daemon). I have more then one FTP account and also noticed that unless ALL user point to the same default directory the process wouldn't work.

Thanks Again!!!

I will close this thread...

Anonymous

Thanks a lot Jonathan/Eric for sharing your practical experiences in this forum. many will get bebefit from this.

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.