For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Upgrade SAN Gen 4 to Gen 6

Hello,

Is it possible to upgrade a Gen4 SAN directly to Gen6 (Without Gen 5 Hardware) ?

For Example :  Upgrading a SAN from 300 switches to G610 switches directly

What are the prerequisites, the process and upgrade path to follow ?

Thanks

Best Regards 

External Moderator

Re: Upgrade SAN Gen 4 to Gen 6

@cneri 

none of Brocade Switches ( excepted in DCX Gen4, Core and Port Blade must be replaced ) can be upgrade to newest GenX Series

If you want to upgrade from Gen4 to Gen5 or Gen6, you have to replaced the complete Switches

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hello

@Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24

That is not my question. Of course i want to replace them.
My question is are they compatible in order to add gen 6 switches (g610) to my gen 4 fabrics (300), save my zoning database, move connections to new switches and then remove gen 4 switches.(without needing gen 5 hardware).
What are the prerequisites, the process and upgrade path to follow ?
Thanks
Occasional Contributor

I found in FOS 8 release notes that my 300s must be at least in 7.3.1 version before adding newer switches to the fabric.
Is that correct ? And is it the only point to check ?
Thanks
Best regards
Frequent Contributor

You are correct.  The Gen4 must be at FOS v7.3.1 or later to interoperate successfully with  G610 using  v8.1.0 or later.

If you connect a simple ISL between Gen4 switches and G610 the zoning database should import onto th G610.

Ensure the G610 domain ID is unique to the existing Gen4 switchs and its defined zone policy setting are the same

as the Gen4's before attaching an ISL.

The comments and advise included are the author's and do not mirror the views and opinions of any company. Any comments, advise, statements or references are without warranty, liability or claims of expertise. You should seek the assistance of the professional entity for subject matter being pursued.
Occasional Contributor

Ok ! It s clear now. 

Thanks

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.