For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

External Moderator

Re: 200-16E

Phil,

--->>> I can not find the command to check the PID , .....

Sorry for the confusion, i was think you have FabOS v5.3.x

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi TechHelp24

I now have the switches working as two independant fabrics, and it seems to work if I fail one of the fabrics, the san is still accessible to the servers.

I have a question about the zoning:

I have two zones

1) Sql

2 )Virtualservers

With the zoning does this mean that the sql zone can only communitate to devices connected to the sql zone and the same for the virtualserver zone ?

Should the SAN be in its own Zone or as i have 2 controllers ( 4 Ports ) just place one connection into each fabric ? Which is how I have it set at present.

Sorry for all the questions

Phil:D

External Moderator

Phil,

--->>> With the zoning does this mean that the sql zone can only communitate to devices connected to the sql zone and the same for the virtualserver zone ?

Yes, is correct.

login in to the switches ( both Fabric ) trough Telnet, and copy the exact output from "cfgshow" and upload here.

--->>> Should the SAN be in its own Zone or as i have 2 controllers ( 4 Ports ) just place one connection into each fabric ? Which is how I have it set at present.

I am here a little confused....

What you mean, --->>> Which is how I have it set at present.

You have two Different Zone, SQL and Virtualserver, both ZONE in this case have access to the same Array / LUN's

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Anonymous

Each zone shd have one initiator (server HBA) and one target (storage port).

An example

F1_Server1_SlotA1

F2_Server1_SlotB1

Do not name your zones based on app grps. If u want to know abt apps by looking at the zone then incl that in the name. Ex F1_SQL_Server1_SlotA1

Rgds,

Biju

Anonymous

Hello All,

Newbie here. I'm also in the same boat with 2 x 200E. We've almost maxed out our ports on the switches, and we're looking to expand with 2 more 200E. My current configuration is a little different. I don't have switch 1 (sw1) connected to switch 2 (sw2). Is that a typical setup? Are there documentations that show the different types on connectivity with pros and cons? Since we are looking to expand our current configuration, we would like to make an informed decision when considering the types of products/licenses to buy and how the hardware is implemented. Right now, our vendor, is trying to sell us 2 more 200E with trunking licenses with a "mesh" configuration: sw3 connected to sw1 and sw2; sw4 connected to sw1 and sw2. After looking at this configuration and the cost of the new hardware/trunking licenses, is there a benefit to just purchasing 2 x 5000 and replace the existing 200E's?

Thanks.

J

External Moderator

odurasler,

many greeting at your vendor.

the question is here, wich sense make Trunking in they 200E ?

and the answer is, not make any sense.

--->>> My current configuration is a little different. I don't have switch 1 (sw1) connected to switch 2 (sw2). Is that a typical setup?

Any typical config dont exist. If you connect both switch "ISL" have a redundant Fabric, in you case you have a Dual Fabric with single switch in the same SAN.

--->>> ....is there a benefit to just purchasing 2 x 5000 and replace the existing 200E's?

If you intend to Replace/Upgrade Hardware, the 5100 or 300 are the switch you need.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hello TechHelp24

Sorry for the confusion over the san connectivity, I will try and explain what I have.

I Have two Fabrics A & B and on these Fabrics there are two zones 1 ) SQL 2) Virtualservers

On FABRIC_A there is an SQL zone and a Virtualserver zone

Defined configuration:

zone: SQL 1,0; 1,1; 1,2; 1,3; 1,4; 1,5; 1,6; 2,0; 2,1; 2,2; 2,3; 2,4;

2,5; 2,6

zone: VirtualServers

1,7; 1,8; 1,9; 1,10; 1,11; 1,12; 1,13; 1,14; 2,7; 2,8; 2,9;

2,10; 2,11; 2,12; 2,13; 2,14

Effective configuration:

no configuration in effect

From the sql server There is a connection into FABRIC_A and FABRIC_B SQL Zone and the same for the VirtualServers Zone.

Then From the DS3400 I Have 2 controllers and 4 connections, there is one connection from controller A Port 1 to FABRIC_A ( switch 1 ) SQL Zone then from Controller B Port 1 to FABRIC_A (Switch 2) VirtualServer Zone. Then Controller A Port 2 to FABRIC_B (Switch 1 ) SQL Zone and Controller B Port 2 FABRIC_B ( switch 2 ) Virtual Zone.

But having read your response, you have answered the question about Zones so the SQL zone can only communicate with devices in the SQL Zone. So it I were to create a third Zone for the san connections it would not be able to to communicate with the other Zones as it is.

Phil:D

External Moderator

Phil,

this config cannot work.

First, i cannot see here any Alias, and second the config is not active.

delete all and create again.

Alias = HBA and Array Port Name

Zone = SQL and virtualserver

config = example cfgFabA for the Fabric A and cfgFabB in the Fabric B

you must add the alias in the zone and the zone in the config, save and active it.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hello TechHelp24

Many thanks for your reply, Does this look a little more like it ?

Phil

External Moderator

Hi Phil,

here a Simple Config Example from my switch, but without any Array.

TH24BR4100FAB3:admin> cfgshow

Defined configuration:

cfg: TH24_CFG0 = Config name

TH24_870A ( Zone in the Config )

zone: TH24_870A = Zone Name

HBA1_870A; HBA0_870A ( Alias as member in the Zone )

alias: HBA0_870A Alias Name, in this case is the HBA Server 1

10:00:00:00:c9:25:b6:5d ( this is the WWN from HBA, if show after the config is create and Activate, not necessary to config )

alias: HBA1_870A Alias Name, in this case is the HBA Server 2

10:00:00:00:c9:25:d8:0d ( this is the WWN from HBA, if show after the config is create and Activate, not necessary to config )

Effective configuration:

cfg: TH24_CFG0

zone: TH24_870A

10:00:00:00:c9:25:d8:0d

10:00:00:00:c9:25:b6:5d

TH24BR4100FAB3:admin>

with other word, the defined zone must contain all alias for this Zone, a simple example:

You have 2 Server and one Array each server with One HBA.

Alias HBA1 and HBA2, each Alias must have a defined Port in the Switch, example HBA1 is connect in Port 0, HBA2 in Port 1, same for the both Array Port, Array_PORT1 will be connect in Switch port 2, and Array_PORT2 will be connect in Switch Port 3.

the Zone with the Name SQL_ZONE have in this case the both member HBA1 and HBA2,and the both Array member Port,

Next Step, add the zone SQL_ZONE in the config, example config name SQL_CFG, save and activate the zone.

i see in you Word Attachment, only one Alias "A_SQL" this is not correct and cannot work without all other defined Alias.

Dont forgot to assign each Alias to the appropriate Port.

TechHelp24

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.