Endevor

• 1.  ELIB utility vs PDSE for Listings and Delta libs

Posted Aug 04, 2011 08:02 AM
    What is the advantage vs disadvantage in using ELIB utility for Listings and Delta libs What is the advantage vs disadvantage in using IDCAMs utility for Listings and Delta libs

• 2.  RE: ELIB utility vs PDSE for Listings and Delta libs
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 04, 2011 11:04 AM
    We use ELIB's for both listing and deltas and also base libraries. The advantages are that the compile listings are compressed so it can squeeze quite a few of them in a smaller amount of space. If you create them large enough, you will rarely have to do any maintenance on them. Adding space is quite easy using an ELIB utility. One advantage to having a base library as an ELIB is that you can transfer in place. Otherwise, with a PDS, you have to transfer out to another location and then back.

• 3.  RE: ELIB utility vs PDSE for Listings and Delta libs

Posted Aug 04, 2011 03:36 PM
    Thank You Sharon.. I beleive we would go with the ELIB..

• 4.  RE: ELIB utility vs PDSE for Listings and Delta libs

Posted Aug 05, 2011 12:38 AM
    Hi Sharon,

your reply that there are plenty of advantages of ELIBs over PDS or PDSE, especially when the files get larger is totally correct.
    I didn't know about the transfer in place possibility and I am glad I know this now.

There is one (very common) misunderstanding though about compression of listings usiing CONLIST that I would like to set straight..
    Endevor CAN compress listings in PDS and PDSE, just as well as in ELIBs.
    For the compression to take place in PDS or PDSE, your listing library has to be defined as Variable Blocked, for example LRECL=133, RECFM=VB(A), BLKSIZE=27998
    So Although there is no benefit of storing the listings in a PDS or PDSE listing library the listings can be compressed in these data sets.

Regards,
    Jan

• 5.  RE: ELIB utility vs PDSE for Listings and Delta libs

Posted Aug 09, 2011 06:40 AM
    Hi Jan,

The manual says that the PDS has to have an record length of 259.

We did try this after a conversation with you and it is effective but the 10 character member name of elibs met our requirements so we are going the elib route.

• 6.  RE: ELIB utility vs PDSE for Listings and Delta libs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 12, 2011 05:33 AM

SBAshby wrote:

Hi Jan,

The manual says that the PDS has to have an record length of 259.

We did try this after a conversation with you and it is effective but the 10 character member name of elibs met our requirements so we are going the elib route.
    Just a quick note/amplification; Remember you can use record lengths larger than 259, but actually it often useful to deliberatly set a FIXED record size to disable compression too. OK but doesn't that waste space, I hear you say... Yes, but it has the great advantage that you can now open the listing without having to use the Endevor view footprint or 'LL' option - i.e using a regular browse or view session. There is of course another option to help manage the space, and that's to let your installation disk management software in on the game.

The basic premise is that rather than creating a single huge dataset to hold all your listings, you create one listing per element/date/time and then let HSM, CA disk, or whatever you favourite migration tool is manage the DASD. In your processor you allocate a new PDS for each listing, The dataset name is important, it needs to identify the element, the system/stage/type as needed and (if you want to keep prior versions) then also a date/time. You can open/browse your listing from endevor using 'LL' (or footprint display utility) as usual, but now when you don't access your listing it can simply be migrated off. Your storage people can set up rules for retention so for example ALL production listings are kept for at least seven years, Development listings might only stay on line for 3 days - but because they are just archived off, they are still available when required.

The last thing I'd point out is that now instead of having only 8 characters for a pds member name (or 10 for an ELib), you can use the whole dataset name (44 characters) AND the member name (8 characters) to get reallly creative. As an example this is the structure I use to store listings in our automated QA processes, showing both the symbols used and the store step.
    //AUTOPTF PROC   EXPINC=N,               EXPAND INCLUDE STATMENTS Y/N 
    //      LISTPRE='BST.SUPPNDVR.LIST&C1STGID..&C1SYSTEM..', LIST PRFX   
    //      LISTLIB='&C1ELEMENT..D&&C1AYY&C1AMMM&C1ADD', LISTLIB SUFFIX   
    //      LISTMEM='T&C1AHHMMSS',           LISTLIB MEMBER NAME          
    //STORLIST EXEC PGM=CONLIST,MAXRC=0,PARM='STORE.MBR(&LISTMEM)'          
    //C1LLIBO  DD DSN=&LISTPRE.&LISTLIB,                                    
    //         DISP=(MOD,CATLG,CATLG),                                      
    //         DCB=(RECFM=FBA,BLKSIZE=0,LRECL=133,DSORG=PO),     Readable   
    //*        DCB=(RECFM=VBA,BLKSIZE=23476,LRECL=137,DSORG=PO), Compressed 
    //         STORCLAS=NDVRPOOL,DSNTYPE=LIBRARY,                           
    //         SPACE=(CYL,(1,1),RLSE),                                      
    //         MONITOR=&MONITOR                                             
    //C1BANNER DD UNIT=&WRKUNIT,SPACE=(TRK,(1,1)),                          
    //            DCB=(RECFM=FBA,LRECL=121,BLKSIZE=6171)                    
    //LIST00   DD DSN=&&IDCAMS0,DISP=(OLD,DELETE,DELETE)                    
    //LIST01   DD DSN=&&IDCAMSD,DISP=(OLD,DELETE,DELETE)                    
    //LIST02   DD DSN=&&LISTSUM,DISP=(OLD,DELETE,DELETE)                    
    //LIST03   DD DSN=&&LISTDET,DISP=(OLD,DELETE,DELETE)                    
    //LIST04   DD DSN=&&DDUPPRT,DISP=(OLD,DELETE,DELETE)                    
    This is just a sample, but hopefully you can see enough to modify to your needs.