Clarity

• 1.  Link to document or folder from Collaboration tab

Posted May 06, 2015 08:22 AM

Our client would like an attribute that links to either a document or folder from the project's Collaboration tab. Does anyone know if that's even possible?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Link to document or folder from Collaboration tab

Posted May 06, 2015 08:47 AM

Hi,

Sorry, i am unable to understand.

There is a collaboration tab in project.

Under documents --> You can have folders/sub-folder and add documents clicking which will be taking you to the specific doc.

Here y do u need a new link and point to document?

(I don't think we can customize the documents)

Regards,

Aish

• 3.  Re: Link to document or folder from Collaboration tab

Posted May 06, 2015 09:01 AM

I don't want to modify anything from the Collaboration tab. What our client wants is a link on a subpage (let's just say Project Summary for example) that would open a document or folder from the Collaboration tab.

Thanks,

Ben

• 4.  Re: Link to document or folder from Collaboration tab
    Best Answer

Posted May 06, 2015 09:34 AM

The technique described in here TIP : How To Put Any Dynamically Generated Value On A Clarity Object can put hyperlinks on object pages.

• 5.  Re: Link to document or folder from Collaboration tab

Posted May 06, 2015 10:49 AM

Ben,

David's solution will work for you if the folder or file has an attribute or name that is consistent.  For example, on your Project Summary page, you can have a field with a dynamic lookup, per David's notes, that will display an Excel "Bill of Materials" hyperlink. The SQL to produce this hyperlink would look within the collaboration folder for this project, for a particular filename (e.g. "Bill of Materials*")  - perhaps including a MAX date in the event you are storing revisions (e.g "Bill of Materials Rev0," file date 1/1/2015; "Bill of Materials Rev1," file date 4/15/2015).

If your folders or files don't have a standard convention (e.g. everyone spells the same thing differently: "Bill of Materials,"  "BillofMatl," "BOM"), then this technique may not work for you.  There's probably a variety of ways to do this, but a standard must be set for the SQL to follow (e.g. you could have different file names, as long as the file is always in a particular folder with a standard file name - "All projects will have a folder named "Bill of Materials" - then, the SQL could find the file in that folder with the last 'last modified date'; and hopefully, users don't put other doc types in that folder!).

If there is no standard, then you may want to look at just adding a URL attribute to your Project Summary page, where the user can copy/paste the URL address of your folder or document.

Short summary:  If you have standards, use David's method - its really cool, works great (we're using it ourselves, for different topics).  If you don't have filenaming/folder naming standards, use a URL attribute and tell users to copy/paste folder/document address.

David - comment if I've misstated anything, please.

Dale

• 6.  Re: Link to document or folder from Collaboration tab

Posted May 06, 2015 11:26 AM

As long as you can "work out" (programatically) somehow what the required URL is, then "my" technique would work (coding it into the lookup is the complicated bit)  - but I agree that if the link is "random" in nature then a user-entered URL attribute would be the way to go.

• 7.  Re: Link to document or folder from Collaboration tab

Posted May 07, 2015 12:36 PM

Excellent! Thanks guys.