DX Infrastructure Management

View Only

CA on CA Tech Tip - Monitoring Exchange 2013+ 

May 09, 2016 09:41 AM

Hi Infrastructure Management Community,

As promised I am providing the items used to build the Microsoft Exchange dashboard that was presented during the CA on CA Webcast Featuring CA Unified Infrastructure Management https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-infrastructure-management/blog/2016/02/10/webcast-recap-ca-on-ca-featuring-ca-unified-infrastructure-management-uim.

NOTE: We run Microsoft Exchange 2013. Our alarms are based on the output of Managed Availability to the Windows Event Log (see the ntevl.cfg).

Provided in the attached zipped file are

• The configuration files (ProbeConfig Folder) which you can use to build packages for the probes listed
    • exchange_monitor.cfg
    • ntevl.cfg
    • ntperf.cfg
  • The Performance Report Designer (PerformanceReportDesigner Folder) you can import this from the designer
    • We use machine name filters so in some cases you will need to modify the filters
    • The QoS metrics once enabled will just show up in cases where we do not use machine name specific filters
  • There are a number of Lists (ListViewer Folder) that you can import using the List Designer. We have tried to have lists based on Exchange server roles. Note that we use a lot of Sparks which is a preference of our Exchange Admin’s feel free to change these to Gauges or Time Slices to suit your preference
    • CAS Role Performance.xml focuses on Exchange Client Access Services
    • DAG Database Balance.xml ensures that the databases are equally allocated across servers. Our Exchange Admins are meticulous
    • DAG Db Copy Status.xml shows data on replication
    • DAG Service Status.xml shows the state of the critical DAG services
    • DSN Monitor.xml shows Delivery Status Notification failure counts
    • Exchange Disk Utilization.xml shows logical drive utilization
    • Health Monitor.xml shows a count of messages sent in the time frame
    • Host Performance.xml shows CPU & memory resource consumption on the Exchange Server
    • Mailbox Role Copy Queue Length.xml shows copy queue length metrics
    • Mailbox Role Database Mounted.xml shows the status of all the DAG databases
    • Mailbox Role Performance .xml shows messages delivered / sec, log threads waiting and mailbox assistant processor utilization
    • Transport Role Performance.xml shows a lot of queue lengths including mailbox retry queue, poison queue, unreachable queue, message delivery, etc.
  • I have not included a LAR file for this however once you import the Lists and Performance Reports you can add them to a page in UIM and arrange them to your liking. Remember to use the wrench > Preferences > Select your report> Select your time period (we use last hour) > click Save to pick your report or list after adding the relevant portlet to your page.

Disclaimer: I work for CA Technologies in the IT department in the Tools and Automation Group. However, neither can I share any insight into product futures (typically I learn of product changes when you do) nor can make the product management or development team change the product.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
zip file
CAonCA_Exchange-Monitoring.zip   54 KB   1 version
Uploaded - May 29, 2019

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.