Symantec Government Online User Group

View Only

Cybersecurity and the Trump Administration’s First 100 Days 

Mar 20, 2017 08:16 PM

The first 100 days of a presidential administration serve as an important introduction to how the next four years might play out. Along with learning how the new administration governs, significant attention should be paid to the people, policies and technology priorities shaping the White House agenda as they look to make their mark on government and the country.

While the Trump administration’s first 100 days will bring about a number of notable policies and changes, one area that we are keenly interested in is cybersecurity. The government continues to be under constant attack from adversaries, both known and unknown, as a result of external and internal vulnerabilities. Not only do they want our information and our secrets, but to remove the technology backbone that enables government to run effectively and serve its citizens.

In the last few years, we’ve seen the importance of cybersecurity. The breach at the Office of Personnel Management continues to impact the federal government technologically and financially (stay tuned for our next blog on this topic). The same is true elsewhere in the public sector. State and local governments find themselves under constant attack and school systems must somehow protect the mountain of personally identifiable student information they house. Recently, state governments, like those in South Carolina and Utah, saw themselves the victims of major breaches. And schools, like the University of Maryland, lost tens of thousands of student records.

This is not to point blame at any of these organizations. Far from it. Instead, it is to learn and look at the seriousness of cybersecurity. As technology becomes an even bigger part of the government’s mission delivery, poor cybersecurity has the ability to disrupt all of our lives like never before. The Obama administration made great strides in protecting the nation’s networks, but this is a fight that is never over. The Trump administration has been handed an environment where security is incredibly important, but one that must be maintained and improved upon – not just during the first 100 days, but for every day forward.

These first 100 days of the Trump administration will undoubtedly have an impact on the cybersecurity foundation across all segments – including federal, state, local and education markets. Join us in the coming weeks as we follow the policy, technology and personnel changes in the Trump administration, while providing our perspective on what we see as major issues in this space.

At Symantec, we work with organizations from across the world to help them secure important information. We know the importance of an administration’s first 100 days and look forward to seeing the steps the Trump administration takes to protect federal networks during this critical time of transition. The Trump administration has a great challenge ahead of itself, and we plan to look at it from all angles during this blog series. Please check back regularly for updated posts and share with your colleagues that might be fighting a similar cyber battle.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Apr 24, 2017 09:25 AM

Hopefully we will see an increase in budget for this but who knows it's still early days. We (UK) have our own problems and I'm unsure where our priorities are with regards to this. Lets see how this goes! Interesting article Symantec. 

Apr 19, 2017 04:15 AM

It will be an interesting time ahead, I guess things always change and can change so although the first 100 days are cruicial its not always an indication of how things will be.

We've now got an election due so lets see what that brings, I don't know who is worse off.

Apr 15, 2017 02:49 AM

The security needs to be maintained regardless what decisons are made, the first 100 days is a interesting indication of things to come and we need to make sure that our data is still secure from any administration.

Apr 11, 2017 12:22 PM

It's interesting to see what the priorities of any new administration are, and how they intend to act on them.  Cybersecurity needs to remain a top priority and I look forward to seeing what plans are made and what changes/defenses are put into place.  Nice writeup, hopefully the rest of the series is worth the time to write/read!

Apr 03, 2017 05:55 AM

The impact of the Trump administration is yet to be seen but I don't see this going well. I'm sure there will be a focus on cyber security and defense budget increase but I'm not convinced the right approach will be taken. Nice article from Symantec, as other have said good to see a balanced view point. 

Mar 29, 2017 12:51 AM

I agree and applaud Symantec for an unbiased point of view here. I think programs like infragard and public awareness are just as important as public sector strengthening. Let's do it!

Mar 27, 2017 02:07 PM

El tema de cyberseguridad a nivel de gobiernos es un tema sumamante delicado el tema aqui es cuando hay una brecha que tan amenudo es detectada, muchas veces se dan cuenta porque el perpetrador  es quien revela la informacion. Otro punto interesantes seria saber cuales Gobiernos no estan invertiendo en Cyberseguridad.  USA ya hace tiempo trabaja en este tema por lo que será facil para ellos seguir adelante-

Mar 26, 2017 08:15 PM

Great article @Symantec!

First off, I want to say that this was a very classy article; no stabs at our President or any other party members.  Not a lot of people do this.  [THUMBS UP]

Second (and last), I really feel like we really have a lot ahead of this year and I as well look forward to seeing what kind of efforts are taken to fight this cyber war.

Mar 26, 2017 03:38 PM

I know Trump is funding a lot of defense budgets. Hopefully cyber security is one of those. Wonder where we'll be in a year from now.

Mar 26, 2017 04:36 AM

After reading, various articles on Cybersecurity in the 100 days of Trump (by Cyberscoop, TechRepublic, ScientificAmerican, CyberSecurity-Chicago, etc) - I think there is a lot of controversy and confusion over what is happening.

Let's understand the fact here is on the Top level, Trump is certainly in favour of scrutinizing America’s cyber security policies, and he’s no stranger to facing online adversity; digital activist group Anonymous declared cyber war on Trump ahead of the elections, but though they have since changed their tact, they are key players in measuring how much of a threat cyber influence could be to Trump’s administration in coming months.

On the Low (Users) Level, Security is our users top priority and self-defense is the best way for Protection, what ever government's policy might be..

Regards, 

Mar 25, 2017 01:06 AM

Because of the interwoven nature of government and corporate cyberattacks, cybersecurity policy necessitates delicate diplomacy and a nuanced understanding of the hacking ecosystem. The next president should support widespread investments in cybersecurity and advocate for a layered approach. He and a number of cybersecurity experts offered advice for both the next president and for private companies.

Mar 25, 2017 12:59 AM

Historically when the executive and legislative branches of the federal government are controlled by the same party, government spending increases. Both branches of government are led by members of the same party and therefore often have the same spending priorities. With that being said, cybersecurity will be a priority of this administration. There is already early evidence of this, as security, including cybersecurity, was one of the three top issues in the Trump campaign and now the first cabinet-level appointees were in the security arena further supporting this.

Mar 25, 2017 12:55 AM

The cyber-threats will be the same in the first 100 days of President Trump's administration as they were in the last 100 of President Obama's administration. They are ever present, unrelenting, and pose a clear and present danger to the security of the United States of America. With everything from SIGINT (Signals Intelligence) and HUMINT (Human Intelligence) to combat operations; from policy decisions to taxpayer personally identifiable information; from the President's travel plans to the White House dining menu - everything is digital.

Mar 25, 2017 12:49 AM

Cybersecurity is an imminent challenge that requires attention from the new government. Realistically it could take months—or years—to deploy a feasible federal cyber-defense policy. In the meantime, said Carbonite's chief evangelist Norman Guadagno, enterprise companies and SMBs should encourage internal best practices, promote employee training, and have a cyber-defense plan in place. "Almost one in five small business owners say their company has had a loss of data in the past year," he explained, "yet only 54 percent say if they were hacked from the outside, they would not know what to do."

Mar 25, 2017 12:39 AM

In public discussions, at least some commissioners have expressed the view that these best practices ought sooner rather than later to be considered a “standard of care” for the IoT. That’s a legal term of art and companies that don’t meet such a standard may be more likely to get sued. There are gaps in the laws that protect consumers and incentivize adequate security standards, the president should “present Congress with a legislative proposal to address identified gaps, as well as explore actions that could be accomplished through executive order.”

Mar 24, 2017 04:44 PM

I really do hope that this administration takes seriously the intelligence community and their threat assessments accordingly. 

Whether its from internal or external threats to nation state sanctioned attacks, there is something to learn that nothing is ever 100% secure as long as you have a cable connected to it and have the human factor involved. 

The correct initiative need to be passed and put into place for all the archaic infrastructure just waiting for someone to exploit the vulnerabilities.

Mar 24, 2017 07:09 AM

I think all network administrators both government, and non-government should be looking outward to many security organisations.  Of course they should listen to government advice, but so far I'm not convinced that this President has his cybersecurity priorities straight.  There are many trustworthy organisations that should probably be used a cybersecurity reference before POTUS!

Mar 23, 2017 08:50 PM

I do not quite get how close the topic and contents are, the first 100 days is a recent eyeball term can easily draw most peopel's attention, We all know security getting more and more important to everyone, no matter it is governement or public/private sector, cybersecurity is one of frequently talked topics as long as the company or individual is capable to do so, the future will only tough, looking back the past 10, 20 ears, what control we had at that time, what we have today,cybersecurity is alwasy hot topic not just 100 days, next four years, it will could be next 50 to 100 years.   

Mar 23, 2017 07:08 PM

Governments from around the world have all been hacking and will continue to hack other countries as a part of their strategy for intelligence. Before computers it was wire tapping. Before wire tapping it was bugging. Before bugging it was alcoholic beverages. Before alcoholic beverages it was woman... Nothing before that.... The real question is what is next?

Mar 23, 2017 03:19 PM

I'm disappointed that I didn't see a mention of the increase in Cyber Security that is in the proposed budget for DHS to address some of the issues.  http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/324238-trumps-budget-proposal-gives-dhs-15-billion-for-cybersecurity 

The post mentioned the breach at OPM but didn't talk about the positives that have come out of it including Comply to Connect and also CDM.  How is Symantec working within these two frameworks I think would be an important area to discuss.

Mar 23, 2017 03:17 PM

I'm fascinated at the discussion here.  I think the problem is still there are so many holes alredy in our government.  From the DNC hack, to the leaks from the CIA and how many daily leaks from the current administration seem to occur.  It doesn't give me much hope for a secure government.  

Mar 23, 2017 02:28 PM

Trump will undoubtedly have an impact on cybersecurity, most likely not a good one judging how things are going. I agree, this is too important to be political. Interesting, thanks.

Mar 23, 2017 02:09 PM

Ver un artículo centrado en un ejemplo del mundo real y especialmente uno tan importante. La seguridad a este nivel muy importante. No estoy seguro de tener mucha fe en la actual administración para lograr que sus prioridades sean rectas. 

Mar 23, 2017 01:49 PM

The first100 days priorites are shifting daily. Hopefully Cybersecurity will come to forefront.  Too often it has been at the whims of political winds.

This is too important to be political.

thanks

Mar 23, 2017 09:51 AM

I agree that the first 100 have been pretty bad. Especially for cyber security and technology in general. Looking forward to seeing how Symantec breaks everything down for us.

Mar 23, 2017 09:34 AM

The first 100 days have been a mess. Why would we expect it to be any better stretched over (hopefully only) 4 years? Trump puts on a nice dog and pony show when the camera's are rolling but I don't buy it.

Mar 23, 2017 09:34 AM

Well, the first 100 days kinda sets the benchmark for the rest of his term. Intreagued to see if there are any 'executive orders' around cybersecurity and privacy...

Mar 23, 2017 09:29 AM

An interesting article from Symantec, not something i've thought about before. First 100 days are always a good benchmark though. I hope he doesn't make any (more) rash decisions with all the threats about.

Mar 23, 2017 09:04 AM

Watching this from across the pond has been "interesting", to say the least. There's an obvious trend from some in US Governement towards wanting access to everything, flying in the face of all common sense when it comes to security. Where the US has typically led the world in attitudes and industry trends, I can't help but feel that it will fall behind Europe during the Trump administration.

Mar 23, 2017 07:00 AM

Interesting to see an article focused on a real world example and especially one so important. Security at this level is obviously very important I'm not sure I have much faith in the current administration to get their priorities straight. Well done symantec.

Mar 23, 2017 06:35 AM

The first 100 days are always a baseline for any president. It pretty much sets the expectation for the next few years. I'm hopeful that with all of the new and advanced threats it there silly decisions are not made.

Mar 23, 2017 03:42 AM

No matter if it's "First 100 Days" of being in the position or not, *every* company should have *already* preprared for this situation. Why wait until he annonces something when you can deal with it yourself?

At the end of the day, the internal network belongs to the internal IT team and/or outsourced to work for them. You're resposible with dealing it. You're resposible with setting up the policy and agreeing with the management team. It's no good to blame the Internet for the hack attacks or whatever - we all already know that the Internet is 'dirty' and we have to make sure that nothing 'dirty' gets into the internal network.

Mar 23, 2017 03:15 AM

Cyber security has and have to remain On top priority whether it's trump or Obama, America or Asia.
With the growing number of cyber attacks the effective use of cyber security products have become essential. Yes every government has challenge to protect themselves from the attacks whether it's physical war or cyber. For physical war countries has army. For cyber - symantec :)

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.