CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jun 17, 2015 01:37 PM

My customer wants me to show the amount of time that the SLA was on hold for the ticket. Is there a table that store this information?

• 2.  Re: How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jun 17, 2015 02:43 PM

hi,

there is no OOTB table that stores requested data,

but you can publish your own table,

if customization is acceptable way.

• 3.  Re: How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jun 17, 2015 02:49 PM

I also had this same question a few months ago and had been informed that there is no table that contains this information. I work with CA Service Desk 12.6, although I suspect that this could be consistent for all versions of CA Service Desk.

To determine "hold time", your customer would need to consider the following:

- Start and end time that a ticket spent with a hold status, such as "Hold", "Contact Attempted", etc.

- Any groups that are excluded from being counted towards SLAs.

- Times that are outside of the SLA window, such as weekends and/or holidays.

- Any other conditions that would influence SLA time.

The first three items can be found in the activity log.

• 4.  Re: How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jul 10, 2017 10:11 AM

Hi Laura

Recently , I started working with CA Service desk. Before we used HPSM , in that delay times are stored in  clocks table.

But here in CA it's very hard exclude "HOLD" time.

Did you build any logic For that?

Could you help me in this?

• 5.  Re: How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jul 10, 2017 04:13 PM

Hi Gelle,

For one of my ticket systems, rather than relying on Service Desk to directly store this information, I created a query within SQL Server that reports on this information.

For another ticket system that I work with, we use custom functions within SQL Server to populate SLA information into custom fields associated with tickets.

• 6.  Re: How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jun 17, 2015 03:32 PM

I always suggest to our customers not to use hold functionality, since this is always some kind of cheating. Use of hold functionality means that organization has some problems that they don't want to address. Maybe end users are not providing aditional information, vendors are not inline with their contractual agreements and etc.  so what I suggest to do is to have some statuses like forwarded to 3rd party, awaiting information and calculate time spend in each of this statuses by the means of spl code. So wen ticket is violated customer can analyse on which side there was a problem and address it.

• 7.  Re: How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jun 30, 2015 10:07 PM
    I thought, each time an SLA gets delayed, for example because the ticket status is set to a status which has the hold flag set, an evtdly record gets created, which holds start and stop time of each delay. Wouldn't that help?

• 8.  Re: How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jun 30, 2015 10:43 PM

I agree with Gutis' suspicion about the use (and abuse) of the 'Hold' status.  I have seen a site where the Help Desk's first action on receiving a ticket was to set it to 'Hold' so that they never violated their SLAs.  The same site also never set the priority to anything above 'Medium', for the same reason!  Maybe that's why your customer wants to know how long tickets have been held? 

In any event you're up for some customisation to achieve this particular requirement.  If you go down the path of analysing the activity log, bear in mind that if a ticket is saved with an initial status of 'Hold' there will be no corresponding 'Update Status' entry in the activity log.  You will also find that the activity log records have to be parsed (e.g. the description will read 'Status changed from "Open" to "Hold"') to capture the status transitions.  The definition of 'time that the SLA was on hold' is also crucial - is it just elapsed time, or must you take workshifts into account - which means you must also track who the ticket was assigned to?

• 9.  Re: How can I calculate the hold time of a SLA?

Posted Jul 01, 2015 04:47 AM

Again, I just want to point out, that each delay/hold time is logged in the evtdly object/evt_dly table.

So if the question is, how to calculate the hold time of an SLA, you already have all information available in the evtdly object. No need for customization!

The system even calculates the effective hold time matching the effective workshift