Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  TFS 2013 Integration With RA 5.5.1

Posted Nov 02, 2015 11:54 AM
      |   view attached

Good Morning,

I am looking at implementing RA 5.5.1 with TFS 2013 for the purposes of automation.  When a build definition has been created, I plan for RA to automatically initiate a designated deployment plan.  I have reviewed some of the available documentation from CA including the attached PDF and the RA Wiki article, https://wiki.ca.com/display/RA55/Microsoft+Team+Foundation+Server.  I am hoping to get some feedback from the community on this and hear about anyone's experiences integrating these two platforms.  Did you run into any issues when implementing?  Is it working well for you now that it is implemented?  These sorts of questions.  All input is appreciated and I look forward to hearing everyone's responses. 

• 2.  Re: TFS 2013 Integration With RA 5.5.1

Posted Nov 04, 2015 01:55 AM

hey,

we have experince combining these two systems (well we're using tfs 2012, but this should be possible with 2013 as well) but without the plugin. what we do is, that we trigger a deployment after a successfull build to get something in the sense of continuous delivery. for that purpose we have implemented a service, that listens to build quality changes and then uses the RA REST API to do the rest. Here we have to outcomes, one is, that we directly start the deployment, the other is, that we just create the plan

I know this might not help you, as we didn't use the plugin, but might point you in another direction, that you could think about.

regards

michael

• 3.  Re: TFS 2013 Integration With RA 5.5.1

Posted Nov 04, 2015 01:11 PM

I appreciate the input!  That is good to have in my toolbox in case our TFS admins come back and say that they aren't comfortable installing the plugin.  The service that you are running to listen for build quality changes, is that custom made? I would be interested to hear some more about it if we decide to go a similar direction.

• 4.  Re: TFS 2013 Integration With RA 5.5.1

Posted Nov 06, 2015 03:36 AM

yes, this one is custom made with C# using the TFS API.

we have created the service that handles the build quality scenarios and than added a subscription on a server, that listens to the build quality change event

if you need more details regarding the implementation, just let me know