Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  New time period (automate creation)

Posted Jan 29, 2020 08:01 AM
    Edited by Daniel Perez Jan 29, 2020 12:25 PM
    I have to create (as open periods) more than a year of weekly periods for timesheet reporting.

I am aware of the existence of of XML XOG  to manipulate time periods.
    But before XOG-IN I need to generate start-finish dates and later generate the source XML file. And it involves quite a lot of txt transformation works.

Is there any other way to automate the creation of time periods?
    For example the parameters I would use:
    scale=weekly,
    Monday to Sunday,
    PeriodStart:  2/3/2020
    PeriodEnd:  27/3/2022

• 2.  RE: New time period (automate creation)

Posted Jan 29, 2020 09:00 AM
    IMHO ; just  manually use the UI, don't try to automate.

I would think that doing that in the UI would take much less time than working out all your "text transformation" and FAR FAR FAR less time than trying to build XOG from that (and debug it and test it and fix it and test it again and run it).

• 3.  RE: New time period (automate creation)

Posted Jan 29, 2020 11:40 AM
    Edited by Daniel Perez Jan 29, 2020 11:40 AM
    At the moment I have an excel with start and finish date for all the weeks. If there is not other alternative, I will try to automate over the Clarity UI using UI Vision/Kantu (a Selenium fork for browsers)

• 4.  RE: New time period (automate creation)
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 29, 2020 12:13 PM
    Seriously, have you looked at the Clarity GUI

That is  all you have to enter. Just press save and return,
    Should you against all common sense try to automate that please do double check that the period start dates are Mondays (March 1 2020 is not) and the the end dates are Sundays (March 1 2022 is not)

• 5.  RE: New time period (automate creation)

Posted Jan 29, 2020 12:30 PM
    Edited by Daniel Perez Jan 30, 2020 03:09 AM
    Thanks @Deactivated User  I just wrote some example dates and i had a mistake (now corrected to 2/3/2020).
    (next lines were based in a wrong understanding)
    Yes, the process is basic but full of click&click or copy/paste, so I have not other choice I rather spend the time making a macro to read from a csv, copy/paste and click Save.
    Although, I am sure that i will not save a minute....​

• 6.  RE: New time period (automate creation)

Posted Jan 29, 2020 12:36 PM
    I do not see the
    full of click&click or copy/paste
    All you have to do is to select weekly and enter the start date of the first period and the end date of the last period.
    Hitting Save and Return will create ALL the periods between. There is no more clicking or copy/paste than that.

• 7.  RE: New time period (automate creation)

Posted Jan 30, 2020 03:46 AM
    Your are right, solution has taken less than 1 min. I didn't check properly your previous screenshot :| So I was still wrongly thinking that Clarity can only create a single periods.

• 8.  RE: New time period (automate creation)

Posted Jan 30, 2020 03:58 AM
    Glad to hear that.
    It becomes complicated and more work when you want basically weekly periods, but for reporting purposes need them to be in one month only or want to exclude weekends.