Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Export to xlsx

• 1.  Export to xlsx

Posted May 07, 2021 08:58 AM
    Hi,

any news when it will be possible to export from Clarity with "Data only" option to file type xlsx?

Or did I miss something and it is already possible?

Thanks and regards
    Christoph

------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Export to xlsx

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 07, 2021 09:49 AM
    Hi Christoph 

You can save the file as csv initially, and then open in Excel and save as xlsx if you really need this format.

Nika Hadzhikidi
    Sr Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted May 07, 2021 09:58 AM
    Hi Nika,

thanks for your reply.
    But this is pretty much the same, that I export as xls and then save as xlsx.

But it would be nice, if there are plans to save "data only" excel sheet initially in xlsx format.

Thanks and regards
    Christoph

• 4.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted May 11, 2021 10:58 AM

I second Christoph's recommendation, except change this from "nice to have" to "must have."  .xlsx has been the default format for years.  .xls format, like IE, is functionally obsolete.  Saving to .csv then converting to .xlsx is possible, but why make users' lives unnecessarily harder?  Why give users something to hate on?

This should be a "Just do it" change – no ideation process, no voting – just do it!  Please.  The export to Excel feature is one of the most cherished features by our users – please, make it easier for them, not harder.

Kind Regards,

Dale Stockman

Program Manager

ZF Group

ZF Active Safety US Inc.

12025 Tech Center Drive, Livonia / MI 48150 / US

Mobile +1 313-701-5619

dale.stockman@zf.com

• 5.  RE: Export to xlsx

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2021 11:14 AM
    @DALE STOCKMAN I understand completely, please feel free to bring this up on the Product Management Office Hours. I believe it was done this way to improve performance. ​

Nika Hadzhikidi
    Sr Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 6.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted May 11, 2021 11:42 AM
    I proposed , a couple of years ago, in one of the Product management Office hours but it wasn't voted.  :(

• 7.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted May 11, 2021 01:16 PM

Hi Nika,

I'm rarely able to attend these, due to the number of meetings in my current role.  If I can't make the next meeting, can someone take a copy of this thread to the meeting and present it?  Whoever does this has my permission to take use my comments, as written on this thread.

Performance may have been an issue in the past, I can't say.  However, it shouldn't be an issue, today, as we have apps that allow export to several user-selectable formats (PDF, CSV, XLS, XLSX, HTMIL, TXT...) with no apparent difference in speeds.  If others can do it fast, Broadcom can too.

Kind Regards,

Dale Stockman

Program Manager

ZF Group

ZF Active Safety US Inc.

12025 Tech Center Drive, Livonia / MI 48150 / US

Mobile +1 313-701-5619

dale.stockman@zf.com

• 8.  RE: Export to xlsx

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2021 11:20 PM
    Edited by Brian Nathanson May 11, 2021 11:20 PM
    This would need to be raised in the monthly Innovation Panel calls by a voting representative. It can also be raised during weekly Office Hours, but we're very likely to direct people to enter it into the voting system and build consensus for the item. To Stefano's point, it was not a high priority for customers at the time, but maybe it's come back around again.

Product Management
    Broadcom

• 9.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted May 12, 2021 01:39 PM

That is one way to look at it.

Another is to recognize it as a natural evolution of the IT environment which does not set any requirements or only little on the user organizations.
    Unlike the version upgrades which set requirements on OS and db and java  versions irrespective of user organization policies making it sometimes hard to get the new functionality provided in new versions.
    Unlike MS Project  which has to be upgraded frequently because Microsoft makes changes in MS Project Microsoft has provided users the option to go to the new file format when the see it fit.
    Luckily the situation is better than what it is with pdf where there is only one old format, but the application suffers from security problems year after year.

• 10.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted May 12, 2021 01:43 PM
    The good side is that export to xls works more or less conistently and flawlessly.

• 11.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted May 21, 2021 05:47 PM

Hi Martti!

My straight 185mm x 65mm Alpine skis from high school (way back in history...) work consistently and flawlessly, too.  But given a choice, I'd never ride a straight Alpine ski ever again. 

OK, analogies are a poor form of debate, I know.  I need a volunteer to advocate this through the Ideation process – I can only commit to voting, and that's only after normal work hours.  We are slammed with work, which is a good thing.  I was going to take a screenshot of one of our apps, PTC Windchill, showing the variety of download options, including .XLSX, but it was just taken down for maintenance.  Figures – I'm working late and the systems are going down, my computer is telling me that it is about to restart.  I guess I'm done for the day.

BTW:  Saw this video and really enjoyed it:  Why Canadians Can't Bike in Winter (but Finnish people can!)  It's from a channel called "Not Just Bikes."  Host grew up in London, Ontario; is an urban designer; has lived in several cities around world; currently leaving in Amsterdam-Zuid.  Some really interesting solutions are presented regarding different problems.  Hope you and others find this fun! 

Best regards,

Dale

• 12.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted Jun 09, 2021 01:08 PM

Sorry for the long delay in answering Dale. I am on the eve of retirement and not that active any more.

While I do support upgrade to the new file format I do not have access to the ideation. If I recall it correctly it is just one person from an organization. I do not even have a site ID. Further my track record of advocating things is not good.

I've been riding bike in the winter since I was a kid and consistently all year through to work (when I worked) since 1990.

The challenge here is that the bike lanes are level three for snow removal and here there is many times ice.

Will try to upload some files in the next post.

• 13.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted Jun 09, 2021 01:09 PM
    Edited by Martti Kinnunen Jun 09, 2021 01:10 PM

A winter day outside the office,. my bike at the left top.

• 14.  RE: Export to xlsx

Posted Jun 09, 2021 01:13 PM
      |   view attached

-29 C was the coldest for me when working in a PMO 14 kms away.

It is not that cold at all in the video.