Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

• 1.  CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Nov 17, 2011 03:15 PM
    This is a request for practical eaxmples.

Say you create on a Tuesday eg. Nov 15th 2011 weekly time slices and set the FROM_DATE to be Monday Nov 14th 2011 with a weekly roll over frequency.
    At which date will that roll over and what will be the from date after the roll over.

Then say you create create monthly slices on January 31st with from date January 30th and monthly roll over period.
    What would be the next three roll over dates and what would be the from dates after those?

When you specify the start day of the week in Project management settings where would you see the result.
    I assume not in time slices and not time reporting periods or fiscal periods because you configure them in their own set up screens.

Martti K.

• 2.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Nov 21, 2011 07:58 AM
    Hi All,

Anyone have any input here for Martti?

Thanks!
    Chris

• 3.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 29, 2011 01:07 PM
    Regarding the weekly slices
    The start date/day determines when the slices start and when they rollover. The start day of the week is irrelevant. If the data is coming from time reporting period related area like posted actuals the start aday of the time reporting period is also irrelevant.
    See below.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Dec 22, 2011 06:16 AM
    Really Nice Article Martt !

I have got some additional doubts.

1) With weekly time slices with a Monthly Rollover frequency, how the expiration date is calculated ? Does it take 4 weeks or date of the Month to calculate the next rollover date.
    eg. you create WEEKLY slices on Dec 5th with from date January 1st Dec and MONTHLY roll over period. So it would take 4 weeks which is 29th Dec 2011 or 1st Jan 2012.
    Also, when this rollover happens, Slice table will remove the date for these four weeks ?

2) Whenever we try to Edit any existing time slice this gives a Warning message - PRJ0309:Editing a time slice deletes the slice's existing data.
    Does it mean that upon Editing of this particular slice would delete ALL the existing records from the slice table once the TIme slice job run ? I tried for one slice request but this didn't happen.

This would be really nice if you answer these queries.

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Dec 22, 2011 09:53 AM
    I don't know and I did not know what I posted above until I tested it.

1) An assumption would be that the monthly rollover is a simple data arithmetic base on the expiry/rollover date.
    Another is that there is some sort of adjustment to take the next or previous start of period from the rollover date and recalculate the next rolloever.
    Then again it could be something different.

It has to be tested unless there is somebody who knows and shares this information.

2) I have had no reason to doubt that this far.
    I have been happy to see that the slice start date in the definitions changes if I change is and then after a while the expiry date is displayed when the slice values are calculated.
    The warning does not mean that
    ALL the existing records from the slice table
    but only the records for the revised request.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Dec 22, 2011 01:00 PM
    Thanks Martti...

So for # 2. I was meaning that...ALL the existing records for that particular slice request which definition was getting edited. But this did not happen when I tried for one of the slice request.

Basically, I wanted to know what exactly happens when we Edit the definition of a particular slice request.

Thanks.

• 7.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Jan 03, 2012 08:17 AM
    TEC549359 - Time Slice Definition Expiration Date is also a nice article for calculating the Expiration Date.

Thanks,
    Rahul

• 8.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Jan 03, 2012 08:40 AM
    Thanks for posting that.

Suggesting all slices should start from the 1st sound as if the system should be reserved for internal maintenance only every month end and year end regardless of user need.

Martti K.

• 9.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Mar 31, 2013 05:27 PM
      |   view attached
    Some more on how the slices rollover at month end.

Martti K.

• 10.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Apr 01, 2013 01:10 AM
    Very well described, Martti !!! :happy:

NJ

• 11.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Apr 01, 2013 10:19 AM
    This is all excellent info! Thanks for sharing!

• 12.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2013 05:37 AM
    I like that ! , thanks for this very interesting info

• 13.  Re: RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Aug 22, 2014 07:24 AM

• 14.  Re: RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Time Slicing 101 - Part 5 practical examples

Posted Aug 22, 2014 07:26 AM