DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

  • 1.  Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-15-2011 09:52 AM
    Hi, we are planning to upgrade to CA Wily 9.0.* soon, and are looking at moving to LINUX from AIX as well.

    I have seen in the Wily docs and they state that virtualisation is supported using VMWare ESX Server.

    Does anybody in the community or from CA have any feedback on implementing and running this solution, particularly in a large clustered Production set up.

    We do not use CEM so this is Wily only.

    Thanks


  • 2.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-16-2011 01:56 AM
    Hi David,

    We have been using Wily installed on Suse Linux Enterprise at VMware farm for more than 4 years.
    We have got 4 production collectors and 2 MOMs (hot failover) version 9.0.6.
    On each collector we have got 40k metrics and it works stable.

    Good luck with migration !


  • 3.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-16-2011 04:32 AM

    Michal.Chrostowski wrote:

    Hi David,

    We have been using Wily installed on Suse Linux Enterprise at VMware farm for more than 4 years.
    We have got 4 production collectors and 2 MOMs (hot failover) version 9.0.6.
    On each collector we have got 40k metrics and it works stable.

    Good luck with migration !
    Thank you Michal.


  • 4.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-16-2011 04:38 AM
    You might faced some synch issue, please refer to the below Tuesday tip I sent last June:
    19051467

    Regards,
    Sergio


  • 5.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-16-2011 05:29 AM

    SergioMorales wrote:

    You might faced some synch issue, please refer to the below Tuesday tip I sent last June:
    19051467

    Regards,
    Sergio
    OK thanks Sergio.
    It looks like an issue on the VMWare side rather than on Wily.
    Have there been many customers affected by this ?


  • 6.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-16-2011 05:46 AM
    Yes


  • 7.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-16-2011 06:14 AM

    SergioMorales wrote:

    Yes
    OK thanks for the information.


  • 8.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-19-2011 02:02 AM
    I agree with you Sergio, ntp synchronization was essential to have stable Wily environment on VMware and Linux.


  • 9.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 12-19-2011 09:02 AM
    On VMWare, it's critical to get your VMWare admins to give you CPU reservations.
    For the MOM, give it 5000MHz; for collectors, 4000MHz.
    Most admins will consider APM to just be another application so they're mentality is to not give it reservations. Make sure you get these reservations.


  • 10.  RE: Is anybody running EMs on virtualised Linux ?

    Posted 01-05-2012 09:33 AM

    hdavis wrote:

    On VMWare, it's critical to get your VMWare admins to give you CPU reservations.
    For the MOM, give it 5000MHz; for collectors, 4000MHz.
    Most admins will consider APM to just be another application so they're mentality is to not give it reservations. Make sure you get these reservations.
    OK, thanks for the heads up.