jakbutler wrote:Yes, we have also seen this, but may have resolved it after upgrading to 188.8.131.52 (I'm still confirming the fix). What agent version are you using? If I recall correctly, version 184.108.40.206 resolves a bug that sounds very much like what you describe, and so far we've not seen the problem since upgrading.
aaronritter wrote:This is might be likely related to this advisory - CA Wily Technical Advisory: Agent Memory Leak when using the SQL Agent. This is not really a leak at least not a typical one.
The array is growing depending on how many differrent objects are held. The array content s cleared by a normal GC but the problem is that the array it self is not removed. Where a empty array still consumes memory (the bigger the array the more memory is consumed, because there are still all the "pointers" left referencing "no objects"). A colleague described that type of memory behaivour very well, its like a high wather mark, if the array was once big it stays on that size.
aaronritter wrote:hi ashish,
this is very likely the same thing especial the behaivour you described as this "leak / high wather mark" is related to a loaded environment, and the version you are using is affected by it (This issue is addressed in Introscope 8.2.4, 9.0.8+).
you are only affected if you use the SQLAgent and the overhead is as far i understood only high if there are many different SQL metrics (high load with lot of different querries). The only way to indentify if the array is using a lot of memory is by e.g. analyzing a heap dump with MAT
what we did is to completely remove the SQL instrumentation is the following:
remove the files: SQLAgent.jar, sqlagent.pbd, sqlagent-summary-metrics-6.1.pbd sqlagent-6.1.pbd
and modify the pbl accordingly where this pbds are loaded.
this will make sure that not even the jar is loaded. It's probably not the nicest way to do this. But we wanted to make sure that nothing is loaded and if you have a jar in the ext folder its usualy loaded and we didnt know what implications that might have.
the best way solving this would be to upgrade to 9.1.1 as it will give you other benefits too but is a different story again :)
the way we upgrade our agent is by replacing the whole agent binary set, but thats only because we have no customizations we would need to take care of. Im not sure how a upgrade works when you want to keep old configuration and if its compatible.