Symantec Access Management

• 1.  SiteMinder r12.8.02 - Auto-Start on Linux server reboot

Posted Feb 11, 2019 10:00 PM

Our current version of PS is r12.52 SP1 running on RHEL 6.  For SiteMinder policy server auto-start on server reboot, we simply created a file "siteminder"  in: /etc/init.d/

Below is the content of this file:

# this script starts and stops the siteminder policy server
    # at boot time
    # start

case "$1" in

'start')

su - smuser -c /usr/pservices/ca/siteminder/start-all &
    touch /var/lock/subsys/siteminder

;;

'stop')

su - smuser -c /usr/pservices/ca/siteminder/stop-all &
    rm -f /var/lock/subsys/siteminder

;;

esac

For the new r12.8.02 running on RHEL 7, I came across this document from CA which instructs us to setup the policy server auto-start using service daemon:  https://docops.ca.com/ca-single-sign-on/12-8/en/installing/install-a-policy-server/install-policy-server-on-unix/configure-auto-startup

Configure Auto Startup for RHEL 7

Perform the following steps only when configuring auto startup for RHEL 7.

Follow these steps:

1. Create a service by creating a new file /etc/systemd/system/S98sm.service
    2. Add the following content in the file /etc/systemd/system/S98sm.service and replace nete_ps_root with an explicit path to the CA Single Sign-on installation directory.

[Unit]
      Description=S98sm Service
      Requires=network.target

[Service]
      Type=forking
      User=smuser
      ExecStart=-"nete_ps_root"/start-all 
      ExecStop=-"nete_ps_root"/stop-all
      Restart=on-abort

[Install]
      WantedBy=multi-user.target

3. Run the following commands to start the Policy Server as a service/daemon process:
      $systemctl daemon-reload
      $systemctl enable S98sm
      $systemctl start S98sm

My question here is, could I still implement the policy server auto-start for the r12.8 on RHEL 7 the same way as I currently do for our r12.52 on RHEL 6 or do I really need to follow the instruction from the CA doc that is specifically for r12.8 on RHEL 7 for proper policy server auto-start on server reboot?

• 2.  Re: SiteMinder r12.8.02 - Auto-Start on Linux server reboot

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 01, 2019 01:50 PM

I haven't tried using the /etc/init.d approach with RHEL 7.  I converted to systemctl and haven't looked back.  You might want to review this thread, posted a year ago, which I think is more detailed and helpful than what you found in docops:

SSO systemctl service files