DX NetOps

• 1.  PM Metric Projection

Posted Nov 29, 2018 02:26 PM

We use PM to gather metrics for about 2000 network devices. We apply the Interfaces metric family to everything. We now have a requirement to do projections (bits/s) for some interfaces (big circuits). I dont want to turn on projection calculations for every device we monitor since that would probably hurt performance (300K ports). Does this mean I need to make a copy of Interface metric family and rename it, turn projections for bits/s on in the new metric, and then create a new (or copy the existing) vendor cert for each vendor of devices we want to apply the Interface_projections metric family to?

• 2.  Re: PM Metric Projection
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 05, 2018 06:17 PM

You're on the right track.

To limit the impact you do need to apply a copied version of the certifications with the changes for projections to a limited set of items to achieve the goal.

• 3.  Re: PM Metric Projection

Posted Dec 07, 2018 01:10 PM

I do not see any requirement to modify vendor certs since projection is configured in the metric family (Edit a Metric - CA Performance Management - 3.6 - CA Technologies Documentation). Copying the Interface MF to set the projection and perhaps use interface filter in the new MF so that it only applies to "big circuits" seems feasible to me; perhaps even apply the metric family copy to a collection of specific devices. 

• 4.  Re: PM Metric Projection

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2018 02:00 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the method suggested is good to allow for limited or controlled application of the change.

• 5.  Re: PM Metric Projection

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 18, 2018 02:00 PM

Dan,

Were you able to resolve this?

Thanks,

Michael