I have my first big project: upgrading to Endevor v18. I don't know the first thing about what to do, so I am going to ask a bunch of questions.
My first question is what all steps are involved? My second question would be which of those steps are done by me? I'm sure that I'll have many more questions. Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some pointers.
I am in MF presale group within now Broadcom. I guess you will get plenty of comments form the community. Your upgrade project needs to be planned taking your current installation into consideration, but it may be an uncomplicated task. What release are you using today?
I recommend you open a support ticket on support.ca.com. This way you can get answers to all your questions and guidelines for your upgrade plan. They will follow you through the entire process. Our services group can also help you.
I have an sample upgrade activity list. If you want a copy, mail me directly at Jorgen.firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have a doc regarding Endevor Upgrade checklist, from CA Support. May I email to you a copy ?
Yes, please, thanks a lot!
IT Division Resource Tech
Information Technology Development Services
Army & Air Force Exchange Service
Visit our online store! www.shopmyexchange.com<http://www.shopmyexchange.com/>
For a V18 upgrade, there are a couple things we need to check before you start the upgrade.
1) Are you using External Security (ESI) or Native security?
V18 requires ESI. If you are still using Native security, you must first convert to External security.
- Check your C1DEFLTS. If the keyword ESSI is set to Y, then you are already using ESI and no conversion necessary.
2) Are you using Global Type Sequencing?
Again V18 requires Global Type Sequencing and if you are not using it, you will first have to convert to GTS.
- Check your C1DEFLTS and see if you the PARMLIB and TYPESEQMBR keywords specified. If they are specified, GTS is enabled and you are all set.
If no conversions are needed, then we move on to assembling the Endevor tables with V18.
1) C1DEFLTS: There have been some keywords that have been obsoleted and need to be removed before assembling it with V18.
See the Release Notes article Customization Table Changes After Version 17.0https://docops.ca.com/ca-endevor-SCM/18-0/en/release-notes/customization-table-changes-after-version-17-0
2) We will want to use your current BC1TNEQU and ESYMBOLS table as is. Just reassemble them using the V18 libraries.
3) We will want to use the V18 version of the ENDICNFG and ENCOPTBL tables and just update the new tables with the options you currently have turned on.
- The easiest way of getting a list of your current table options is to run a batch job with the Options trace - EN$TROPT, turned on. The option trace lists out the current contents of the Endevor tables and that can be used for updating the new tables.
Once all the Endevor tables have been reassembled for V18, we are ready to proceed with the Checklist:
Updated Endevor Upgrade and Conversion checklist - CA Knowledge
Please see below.
A quick note about ENDICNFG in V18 Level 12....
For some reason (the sanity of which I will keep to myself), CA provided a new field called UI_OPT_ELEMENT that they default to the value "L". This will result in a change to many of the Endevor screen layouts and a shock to your user community.
I suggest changing the value to "S" to retain the Endevor "classic" screens and control the introduction of new screens that support a new layout and "long" element names.
Good to know, thanks.
Good Day. Could you please share the Endevor upgrade plan document? It will be very helpful for my Endevor upgrade activity. Thanks in advance.
Mailto : R_GopalakrishnanKothandapani@emblemhealth.com
The Endevor Checklist can be found here --
I'm one of the technical writers working on CA Endevor SCM and would greatly appreciate any feedback you have on the current documentation. We're always looking to make improvements.
All the best,