Symantec Privileged Access Management

• 1.  X11 Unix systems (client device and target device)

Posted Jul 31, 2018 12:05 PM

Hello everyone,

I need use x11 but I don't know how in the MindTerm (default console). In Putty client works nice, but I need the MindTerm too.

For example: when I use the command "xclock" I have this error: Error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0

I found this:

Services - CA Privileged Access Manager - 2.8 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Prerequisites

To use X11 forwarding, the target Device must have X11 applications that are installed and its SSH server configured (where necessary) to provide X11 forwarding, while the User workstation must run an X11 server to display the output.
    Note: When used on UNIX, Linux, and other UNIX-like systems, the SSH Access Method requires the socat relay utility.

But I don't have experience with "the socat relay utility". Or maybe exists a different way

Obviously the target servers have the x11 check.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: X11 Unix systems (client device and target device)

Posted Jul 31, 2018 12:37 PM

Hi xng,

This error generally means there is an error with the DISPLAY variable in the environment.  I would try changing the display variable to localhost:0 and see if you have better luck before running the xclock command.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Eric

• 3.  Re:  X11 Unix systems (client device and target device)

Posted Jul 31, 2018 02:55 PM

I tried this but it didn't help

Thanks.

• 4.  Re:  X11 Unix systems (client device and target device)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 01:29 PM

Hello, There is additional information in a previous discussion on this, see https://communities.ca.com/thread/241789387-how-to-configure-x11-for-linux-server-in-pam . What is your client OS, i.e. from where are you connecting to PAM?

• 5.  Re:  X11 Unix systems (client device and target device)

Posted Jul 31, 2018 02:49 PM

I saw that, but I think that helps a Windows users. I'm connecting from Linux.

When I'm connecting with Putty client I have this in Client Application:

/usr/bin/putty -ssh -X -l <user> -pw <Password> <Local IP>

and the x11 works

When I'm connecting with Linux command line (without CA PAM) I use this command:

ssh -X user@server

and the x11 works

With the CA PAM default console (MindTerm) I have problems.

• 6.  Re:  X11 Unix systems (client device and target device)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 04:27 PM

In my case I have a Windows desktop. When I use the SSH applet there, no problem with X11. If I use a VNC viewer to connect to a Linux desktop, putty works with X11 like you say. It shows DISPLAY=localhost:12.0. For the SSH applet DISPLAY is not set. If I try localhost:12:0 it fails. If I set DISPLAY=localhost:13:0, I get xclock show up on my Windows desktop, not in the Linux desktop. That does suggest that mindterm has a problem, but that X11 is enabled as configured. Is your primary logon to a Linux server?