DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Can IIS Probe be used to monitor site availability?

Posted Oct 17, 2018 02:57 PM

In the IIS administrator when navigating down to Sites we have a site (picture below) that needs to be monitored for availability. Can this probe report on that sites availability and alarm if it fails?

• 2.  Re: Can IIS Probe be used to monitor site availability?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 03:34 PM

yes, the IIS probe can monitor different instance individually and alarm when they are not responding.

Might also want to use url_response on a remote robot to make sure the system can be reached remotely as IIS is usually run locally.

• 3.  Re: Can IIS Probe be used to monitor site availability?

Posted Oct 17, 2018 04:58 PM

Hi Gene,

I went through the iis probe documentation and I did not see where this is configured. Also, I opened the probe in IM and checked all the settings and don't see a place for configuring this.  As usual the probe configuration is not intuitive.  Could you please provide some guidance.

• 4.  Re: Can IIS Probe be used to monitor site availability?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 02:43 PM

this is what an alarm looks like.

this is being done byt the HTTP responce  value which is enabled by default.

I have three sites setup on my IIS as you can see:

• 5.  Re: Can IIS Probe be used to monitor site availability?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 03:33 PM

I went back and looked at your first post I think what you are calling a SITE is an application pool under the default site.

if that is correc then go to the application pool in the IIS probe and do a rediscovery.

Then enable the current applicaiton pool state.

• 6.  Re: Can IIS Probe be used to monitor site availability?

Posted Oct 19, 2018 10:04 AM

Hi Gene, I do that and I get nothing.  Is there something else which needs to be enabled in order for the probe to see this site/pool?

• 7.  Re: Can IIS Probe be used to monitor site availability?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2018 12:03 PM

So to get some data an ISAPI dll has to be added to the IIS instance.

Support a DLL add-on for server-side monitoring of individual requested resources, and displays running and statistical data

Also:

Note: To monitor application pool counters, you must use perfmon probe version 1.53 or later.

The application pools not showing look like  a permissions issues.

Please see :

iis (IIS Server Monitoring) Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 8.  Re: Can IIS Probe be used to monitor site availability?

Posted Oct 23, 2018 12:35 PM

Okay, thanks Gene.