DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Cognos 11 Monitoring

Haruhiko Davis

Haruhiko DavisAug 23, 2017 03:12 PM

• 1.  Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Jul 07, 2017 11:37 AM

Hi Folks;

Wondering if anyone has a solution for monitoring Cognos 11 running on Windows.  We are running into issues and dont seem to be able to find the right mix of components to get it going.  Regardless of using Agent.jar or the NoRedef, it starts the jvm, but then either dies immediately, or stalls.

We are putting the parameters in the %COGNOS_HOME%/bin64/bootstrap_wlp_winx64.xml file, right before the JVM options that they have commented out for debugging:

<param condName="${java_vendor}" condValue="IBM">-XX:ShareClassesEnableBCI</param>

<param condName="${java_vendor}" condValue="IBM">-Xscmx60m</param>

<param condName="${java_vendor}" condValue="IBM">-Xscmaxaot4m</param>

<!-- APM config start -->
    <param>-javaagent:E:\opt\SA\java_agent\latest\base-win\trunk\AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar</param>
    <param>-Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile= E:\opt\SA\java_agent\latest\base-win\trunk\core\config\IntroscopeAgent.default.NoRedef.pvs.profile</param>
    <param>-Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=Cognos</param>
    <!-- APM config end -->

<!-- this parameter helps address the problems related to the large number of static objects in the content store -->

<!--
    <param>-DuseCMLargeResultSet=true</param>
    -->

<!-- uncomment these for debug -->

<!--
    <param>-Xdebug</param>
    <param>-Xnoagent</param>
    <param>-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=9091,server=y,suspend=n</param>
    <param>-Djava.compiler=NONE</param>
    -->

<!-- end debug params -->

The APM logs dont show any errors or stack traces.

• 2.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 01:23 PM

Dear Paimon:

There is a knowledge doc for setting up for Cognos 10.2 Found other posts on Cognos and APM but not on Cognos 11

https://communities.ca.com/message/241852475

https://communities.ca.com/message/241867611

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.TEC1743202.html

Please let us know if the knowledge doc was helpful.

I am asking other customers to provide their solutions and experiences for Cognos and APM as well.

Thanks in advance

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Jul 10, 2017 09:47 AM

Thanks for the links and sorry for the delay in my response .  Looks like the key here was the following line:

<param>-Dorg.osgi.framework.bootdelegation=com.wily.*</param>

• 4.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Aug 10, 2017 01:02 PM

Hallett_German

I am not able to access the first two link you provided above.

• 5.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 05:26 PM

Marking as answered since no follow-up questions. Please let us know if this was helpful or answers to follow-up questions are needed. 

• 6.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Aug 10, 2017 01:16 PM

So, what I am reading through the last link in the "answer" is that IBM Cognos is not certified to be supported by the Java Agent? Is that correct?

Does that mean that I won't be able to instrument my customer's environment with Introscope Agent v10.1 at all? They have IBM Cognos 10.2.2 on a Windows platform. Also, I think the app server flavor that Cognos runs on is Tomcat, be default, right?

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

Cheers

Manish

• 7.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2017 01:34 PM

Dear mparikh72

The first link was internal. The second you should access. Here is the essence of the first note. Note this is for Cognos 8 so may be a historical doc only

Here are my results in getting an Introscope Agent installed into IBM Cognos8, running in a Tomcat 4.1.27 container using a J9 IBM 1.5.0 JVM. I used the AutoProbeConnector method, to avoid any problems that might have been lurking in the IBM J9 JVM ñjavaagent switch.

I had to edit a file named ìbootstrap_win32.xmlî (it was in the <COGNOS_HOME>/c84/bin directory), to insert parameters for the Agent:

<!-- insert CA Wily Agent Parameters -->
    <param>"-Xbootclasspath/p:C:/Program Files/cognos/wily/WebAppSupport.jar"</param>
    <param>"-Xbootclasspath/p:C:/Program Files/cognos/wily/Agent.jar"</param>
    <param>"-Xbootclasspath/p:C:/Program Files/cognos/wily/connectors/AutoProbeConnector.jar"</param>
    <param>"-Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=TomcatCognos8"</param>
    <param>"-Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=C:/Program Files/cognos/wily/IntroscopeAgent.profile"</param>
    <!-- end CA Wily Agent Parameters -->

Once installed, the Agent cranked right up.

Thanks

Hal German

• 8.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Aug 23, 2017 10:26 AM

Hallett_German Lynn_Williams Hiko_Davis Guenter_Grossberger

So, as far as the install goes........am I just installing a bland CA APM Introscope Java Agent on my Windows Server?

That?

and just take the defaults w/o picking a flavor of App Server (WebLogic, WebSphere, etc....)?

Also, does CA have proper documentation on install and instrumentation that I can use and follow? Or do I need to open up a case for both?

Thanks in advance for all help.

• 9.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 03:10 PM

I never use the installer, but yeah a default agent should be fine unless you know the container underneath.

• 10.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 03:12 PM

Which vendor JRE are you using?

• 11.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Aug 23, 2017 03:56 PM

This is IBM Cognos that we are getting from a vendor called Deltek, so they are using IBM JRE

• 12.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 04:00 PM

Then I recommend you get a copy of the AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar from the allappserver package and use it to avoid any CPU issues with IBM J9 VM.

• 13.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Aug 23, 2017 04:39 PM

Oh man...........I remember those "AgentNoRedefNoRetrans...." days..........my my!!!

They are using IBM v7.0 with their Cognos instance.

• 14.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

• 15.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Sep 22, 2017 09:08 AM

Lynn,

I am not able to locate "IntroscopeAgent.NoRedef.profile" file anywhere. I've looked in the "Introscope_Java_Agent_Files_All_App_Svr-No Installer_v10.1-GEN09092307E" package and I am not able to find that file. In that package (for v10.1.015) there are 2 zip files for Windows platform:

IntroscopeAgentFiles-NoInstaller10.1.0.15allappserver.windows.zip

IntroscopeAgentFiles-Legacy-NoInstaller10.1.0.15allappserver.windows.zip

w/n those zip file there aren't any "IntroscopeAgent.NoRedef.profile". The only NoRedef profiles I see in those packages are:

IntroscopeAgent.websphere.NoRedef.profile

IntroscopeAgent.websphere.NoRedef-legacy.profile

I am NOT seeing "IntroscopeAgent.NoRedef.profile"

I am trying to instrument my customer's IBM Cognos 10.2 app server that is running on WLP (Websphere Liberty Profile) server. I am using the default agent (not websphere java agent).

• 16.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 05:26 AM

Hi Manish

For Liberty you should use IntroscopeAgentFiles-NoInstaller10.1.0.15websphere.windows.zip

It is inside of : 

Introscope Agent Files for IBM Websphere Application Server-No Installer r10.1
    GEN09092542E.tar

I remember discussing this issue the doc team in the past, for Liberty the WAS agent packages should be used, I will send them a reminder again.

Regards,

Sergio

• 17.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Sep 26, 2017 10:49 AM

SergioMorales

I can't seem to find that package - GEN09092542E. Can you provide me a link?

Thanks

• 18.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 11:04 AM

You need to apply a filter to se the 10.1 Agent packages, this KB will help you

How to download APM Software from support.ca.com. 

Then "Introscope Agent Files for IBM Websphere Application Server-No Installer r10.1
    GEN09092542E.tar" shoud on the 2nd page:

• 19.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Sep 26, 2017 11:27 AM

I had to edit my profile and switch my site ID. I was then able to see the packages you are mentioning above.

• 20.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Sep 26, 2017 03:21 PM

So, I gave it a shot with that agent files that SergioMorales suggested and still NO SUCCESS. 

I edited the bootstrap_wls_winx64.xml file

I commented out the default -javaagent param already present

<!--     

<param>"-javaagent:${install_path}/wlp/bin/tools/ws-javaagent.jar"</param>

<param>-jar</param>

<param>"${install_path}/wlp/bin/tools/ws-server.jar"</param>

<param>cognosserver</param>

-->

and input the following args:

param>"-javaagent:E:/apps/CA/IntroscopeAgent10.1/Cognos10.2/wily/AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar"</param>

<param>"-Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=Cognos_Global_TST"</param>

<param>"-Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=E:/apps/CA/IntroscopeAgent10.1/Cognos10.2/wily/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.Websphere.NoRedef_Cognos_TST.profile"</param>

<param>"-Dorg.osgi.framework.bootdelegation=com.wily.*"</param>

it's keeps writing Autoprobe logs but nothing else happens;

• 21.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 06:05 PM

Hi Manish:

I attached Sergio to your case so he can look in one place ;-) Technically since a case is open, this thread should be closed. However, I know you like to work things simultaneously

Thanks 

Hal German

• 22.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Sep 27, 2017 01:42 PM

thanks Hal 

Yeah, once we figure out the solution. I'd like to post it here for other customers and CA folks can take advantage of it in the future.

• 23.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2017 01:48 PM

Thanks Manish. Fits perfectly with my blog for today. :-)

• 24.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 28, 2017 01:51 PM

WE HAVE SUCCESS YAY!!!! 

Here is what needed to be done (thanks @leeco1 & SergioMorales)

1. Stop the app server (Cognos).
    2. Save the existing “bootstrap_wlp_winx64.xml” file (Copy it and call it “bootstrap_wlp_winx64_orig.xml” and put/move it somewhere safe)
    3. Edit “bootstrap_wlp_winx64.xml” file. Insert the following highlighted lines before the existing “-javaagent…” lines (as shown below):
      • <param>"-javaagent:E:/apps/CA/IntroscopeAgent10.1/Cognos10.2/wily/AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar"</param>

<param>"-Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=Cognos_Global_TST"</param>

<param>"-Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=E:/apps/CA/IntroscopeAgent10.1/Cognos10.2/wily/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.NoRedef.Cognos_TST.profile"</param>

<param>"-Dorg.osgi.framework.bootdelegation=com.wily.*"</param>

<param>"-javaagent:${install_path}/wlp/bin/tools/ws-javaagent.jar"</param>                            

<param>-jar</param>

<param>"${install_path}/wlp/bin/tools/ws-server.jar"</param> 

<param>cognosserver</param>

4. Save the file
    5. Startup app server (Cognos)

The key was to put the Introscope agent args "BEFORE" the existing args which were there by default.

Thanks again.

• 25.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Sep 26, 2017 10:59 AM

SergioMorales

Only thing I found was 

Introscope Java Agent Files for All Application Servers-No Installer r10.1GEN09092307E.tar

• 26.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 06:24 AM

Hi Manish,

FYI --I have sent a reminder to the doc team internally and included my requests as comments to the below 2 pages:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/implementing-agents/java-agent/install-the-java-agent/configure-application-server-to-use-the-java-agent/websphere-liberty
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/implementing-agents/java-agent/install-the-java-agent/configure-application-server-to-use-the-java-agent/websphere-application-server

1- For Liberty you should use the WAS agent package, this has been confirmed by the CA APM Development team.

2- It is highly recommended that for IBM JVMs to use NoRedefNoRetrans and profile, this is documented for WAS

-javaagent:/AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar -DagentProfile=/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.NoRedef.profile

3.Include a reference to this known issue affecting Liberty, all information about Liberty should be available from 1 single plage:
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/troubleshooting/agent-troubleshooting/ibm-websphere-liberty-profile-runtime-crash-when-java-agent-enabled

4. Move all the information about NodefefNoRetrans Agent jar & profile to a separate page, at the moment docops indicates that it this files are for Websphere Appserver only, however, these files are strongly recommended to be used when using IBM J9 JVM so it is valid for any application server: Liberty, Weblogic, etc.

Regards,

Sergio

• 27.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Oct 05, 2017 10:26 AM

Folks,

Here is a TEC Doc I asked CA Support to whip up and post it. Thanks huaba01 for taking care of this.

How to monitor Cognos 11 and avoid instrumentation failures. 

Cheers

Manish

• 28.  Re: Cognos 11 Monitoring

Posted Sep 26, 2018 06:56 PM

SergioMorales Lynn_Williams paimon.soror

Is this still true with:

Introscope Agent v10.5.2 SP2,

Cognos 11.0.11,

Java 1.7

Windows Server 2016?

Do I still have to use "NoRedef" and "NoRedefNoRetrans"

Thanks in advance