Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Notification for Objects Stuck "Waiting" on Something

Posted Mar 01, 2016 03:11 PM
    Is anyone doing anything with notifications if objects are "waiting" for something too long?

I've been asked if teams can be notified upon failure of a job, which of course they can - however, they are also asking if an object is waiting (i.e. sync, parallel tasks, agent) for too long if there is a way they can be notified as well.

Since those situations aren't technically "failures" I don't see how you'd use the IF RC > 0 ELSE statement on the Runtime Tab of an object or the Result Evaluation per single Task field on the Attributes tab of a workflow.

I'm going to explore seeing I can display / alert on this somehow using Cockpits or scripting, but just wanted to see if anyone else has figured this out already.  I think their fear is that if an agent is down and for some reason the Operations Staff misses the notification for this and any other monitoring / auto restarting fails that they'd have processes waiting for extended periods of time causing issues.  That's a lot of ifs..... but just seeing if this type of notification / alert is possible.

• 2.  Notification for Objects Stuck "Waiting" on Something

Posted Mar 01, 2016 03:34 PM
    You might be able to adapt something like what we do for similar monitoring that was discussed in:

how to notify if job hasn't started by a certain time?

• 3.  Notification for Objects Stuck "Waiting" on Something

Posted Mar 01, 2016 03:54 PM
    A max runtime alert on the parent workflow can be a safety net for this situation, too.