Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  How to change a variable using the java API?

Posted Nov 17, 2014 11:10 AM
    Hi,

I'm trying to set a variable value before executing a job using the java api.
    I've tried the following but it didn't work:

ExecuteObject execute = new ExecuteObject(new UC4ObjectName(objectToExecute));
    execute.setInstanceParameter("&TEXT#", "HELLO");
    uc4Connection.sendRequestAndWait(execute);

Any ideas?

• 2.  How to change a variable using the java API?

Posted Nov 26, 2014 02:15 PM
    Bumping Avital's comment... she's my customer, I don't know java, and I hope someone can help her. :-)

• 3.  How to change a variable using the java API?

Posted Dec 01, 2014 08:58 AM
    When we looked into this, we were told that the only way to set runtime parameters of jobs was to use prompt sets. It works something like this:

Definition

1.    Define a prompt set with text field for each input parameter.

2.    Add the prompt set to the executable object.

Execution

1.    Open the object and see if it has a prompt set defined (just for verification).

2.    If so, start a notification listener.

3.    Submit the executable object.

4.    Wait for the notification listener to receive a callback indicating that prompt input is required.

5.    Submit the prompt values.

This works, but it’s inelegant, complicates batch design, and has lots of moving parts.

We would also be very glad to know if there were a more straightforward way of setting runtime parameters. I am in the process of composing an enhancement request about this very topic.

• 4.  How to change a variable using the java API?

Posted Dec 02, 2014 11:38 AM
    Avital, your question piqued my interest, so I did some reading in the API documentation and ran some tests.

Can anyone tell me what the ExecuteObject.setInstanceParameter() method is supposed to do, and give an example of how to use it?

Update: I posted this as a separate question.

• 5.  How to change a variable using the java API?

Posted Dec 07, 2014 04:27 AM
    Thank you, I will try what you have suggested.
    I will be happy to hear about the elegant solution, once you'll have one.