Symantec Access Management

• 1.  Failed to initialize TCP client connection. Socket error 107

Posted Nov 09, 2016 12:20 PM

Hi,

we're currently running 12.51-CR08 on RHEL 6.8 with an ODSEE 11.1.1.3.0 as PolicyStore and an MS ADAM as KeyStore.

In smps.log we're seeing many errors like the one below:

[15038/1391131504][Wed Nov 09 2016 18:17:41][CServer.cpp:1681][ERROR][sm-Server-01050] Failed to initialize TCP client connection. Socket error 107

I noticed that there's also another user "hillyerdaniell" who's encountering this error here: https://communities.ca.com/message/241888169?commentID=241888169#comment-241888169.

I would like to really know what this error means and the best way to address it.

Thanks!!

Stefano

• 2.  Re: Failed to initialize TCP client connection. Socket error 107
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2016 04:13 PM

Hi Stefano,

In almost all cases, the Socket error 107 occurs due to an external network issue. It means "Transport endpoint is not connected". Basically, the communication between the Policy Server and the Agent was lost. You can capture a network trace to see what exactly is interfering in the network.

TCP client side keep-alives in the Web Agent can be enabled by setting the SM_ENABLE_TCP_KEEPALIVE environment variable to 1 on the agent machine. Enabling TCP keep-alives allows the Web Agent to detect when established connections to one or more Policy Servers have been terminated ungracefully. More importantly, it allows the Web Agent to re-establish connections with the Policy Server after such a network interruption. 

Here is a Tech Note on SM_ENABLE_TCP_KEEPALIVE:
    http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1079236.aspx

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Akshata

• 3.  Re: Failed to initialize TCP client connection. Socket error 107

Posted Nov 10, 2016 12:01 PM

Hi Akshata,

thanks for your quick answer!

We're scheduling asap to set in Production Env also SM_TLI_LOG_FILE var (as explained here: Knowledge Base Articles) in order to see if we can have more information regarding this kind of issue.

I'll let you know as soon as i'll have news about it!

Thank you! 

Stefano

• 4.  Re: Failed to initialize TCP client connection. Socket error 107

Posted May 02, 2017 06:39 AM

Hi Akshata,

We are also getting the same error in smps.log.

The resolution provided above didn't work in our case.

Can you please help us to resolve this? 

Regards,

Shrawan

• 5.  Re: Failed to initialize TCP client connection. Socket error 107

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 03, 2017 12:10 PM

Hi Shrawan,

If the above solution did not work in your case, I would encourage you to open a case with CA Support so we can analyze the logs and the environment. We would need to take a look at your smps.log and webagent.log primarily. In such cases, a network trace like wireshark would be beneficial too.

So please open a case and we can troubleshoot further.

Thanks,

Akshata