Test Data Manager

• 1.  How the sequence in nextval works?

Posted Jan 17, 2017 07:27 AM

Hi ,

I wanted to know how the sequence in nextval(sequence,startval) works.Could we control the sequencing of the values?As I am trying the value in TDM I am getting different value for different sequence name.I want my sequence to increase by 1 from the startval and keep on increasing for each row.

• 2.  Re: How the sequence in nextval works?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 17, 2017 11:02 AM

Hi Acharya, 

The NEXTVAL(SEQUENCE, STARTVAL) function returns the next value in the specified sequence. The sequence is created if it does not exist and assumes a starting value of startval. If no startval is given, sequence always starts from 1.

Parameters: SEQUENCE: a sequence, STARTVAL: starting value
    Return value:  a string representing the next value in the SEQUENCE
    Example:  @nextval(EXAMPLE, 10)@,    Result:  10 ( Each subsequent click of “Validate” increments by 1.)
    If you want your sequence to increase by 1 from the starting value and increase for each row, have you tried  CUSTOMLUHN(NUMBER,INDEX,LENGTH,[SEEDVALUE]), NEXTSTRINGVAL(SEQUENCE, STARTVAL, CHARS), or NEXTVAL(SEQUENCE) ?
    If these do not help, I suggest reaching out to your CA Account Manager to find a resource to help you implement what you want in your environment. 
    If you do not know who your account manager is, you can call CA Customer Care and they will be able to tell you. Contact CA Support - CA Technologies 
    Best regards,
    Taylor