Rally Software

• 1.  How can I create a newline in a Rally testCaseResult notes string using JSON with the API?

Posted Jan 26, 2015 02:30 PM
    When I put a valid \r\n into the notes string in JSON, it just shows up in the notes as an ASCII \r\n, instead of a carriage return/line feed pair.

• 2.  Re: How can I create a newline in a Rally testCaseResult notes string using JSON with the API?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 27, 2015 05:38 PM
    Bill,

I think your issue is that the Notes field is a rich text/html field. As such, you'll want to use <br/> instead of \r\n.

Thanks,

David

• 3.  Re: How can I create a newline in a Rally testCaseResult notes string using JSON with the API?

Posted Jan 27, 2015 05:51 PM
    That makes sense to me, too.  Let us know if that works better, Bill!

• 4.  Re: How can I create a newline in a Rally testCaseResult notes string using JSON with the API?

Posted Jan 27, 2015 07:28 PM
    David is correct. Here is a curl command that creates a test case result with a new line in the Notes field:

curl --header "zsessionid:_abc123" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d"{\"TestCaseResult\":{\"Build\":\"1.0\",\"TestCase\":\"/testcase/1234\",\"Workspace\":\"/workspace/1111\",\"Verdict\":\"Pass\",\"Date\":\"2015-01-27\",\"Tester\":\"/user/777\",\"Notes\":\"line one <br /> line2\"}}" https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/webservice/v2.0/testcaseresult/create

0EM140000004iLx

• 5.  Re: How can I create a newline in a Rally testCaseResult notes string using JSON with the API?

Posted Jan 29, 2015 09:18 AM
    Thanks David.  That worked just fine.
    Bill