DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Moving Management Module Elements

Posted Aug 31, 2016 12:28 PM

Hi all,

We were thinking in the past that we've been able to move management elements (metric groupings, alerts, etc.) between environments (test to prod or vice versa) by just dragging and dropping them from one workstation to the other workstation.  This doesn't appear to work for me.  We have a 9.5.0 environment.

Has anyone been able to do this? Am I missing something easy.  Is there a better way to mass export a bunch of metric groupings, alerts, etc. and then import them into another environment?  I was thinking I could also copy all the metrics I want into a new module and then copy that module's jar file over to the other environment's module directory.  After that then I could move the individual elements to other management modules.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Moving Management Module Elements
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 12:53 PM

I would highly recommend you get familiar with regular expressions and use them in your Management Modules.

Not using them is probably the one problem most people have when they develop them in a lower/test environment and try to move them.

• 3.  Re: Moving Management Module Elements

Posted Aug 31, 2016 01:28 PM

Yep.  Especially on the test side if you are using management module agent expressions on the test side for flipping between logical environments.  We have one test mom for a bunch of logical test environments so that option is highly useful.

• 4.  Re: Moving Management Module Elements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 01:33 PM

Hi Keith:

Looking at the documentation. I see a good section on moving management modules but not moving the elements.

Create and Work With Management Modules - CA Application Performance Management - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Related KD (More on upgrading/moving entire MMs  are :

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1745902.aspx

Upgrading Management Modules.

Thanks

Hal German 

• 5.  Re: Moving Management Module Elements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 09:57 AM

Hi Keith:

I will mark as answered since I see no followup questions. In addition, I will also ask my group to respond further.Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: Moving Management Module Elements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 10:08 AM

Bottom line:

You have to do what Hiko suggested or move the entire MM. A bulk move of elements is not possible at this time.

• 7.  Re: Moving Management Module Elements

Posted Sep 02, 2016 11:58 AM

Thanks, Hiko and Hallett.