Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

• 1.  Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Posted Oct 14, 2015 11:14 AM

We are running CA PPM 13.3 patch 4. The CA PPM - 14.3 documentation states: Installation of 13.3.0.13 is recommended. Patch 13.3.0.14.5 seems to be the only patch available. Will upgrading from patch 14 suffice? If not is patch 13 still available?

• 2.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Posted Oct 14, 2015 01:57 PM

In order to get a prior patch you would need to talk to support (or a colleague who has that particular patch)

If you are opening a case with support anyway to request the patch you might ask this question to start with.

Looking at the the defects fixed there are only two new ones in the no14 compared to no13 and they relate to OWB.

My guess is that they are likely to effect the client only which is going to me irrelevant if you upgrade anyway.

That is only my guess, but you could have a look yourself at the Tecdoc that comes with the patch no 14.

• 3.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 14, 2015 04:56 PM

Hi Kenneth,

When the patch is released after the next release, which is the case with 13.3.0.14 and 14.3, the recommendation we have is not to apply the patch. The reason being is that it might contain fixes that are different from the ones contained in the new release.

Now, for your situation : The Release Notes say:
    Installation of 13.3.0.13 is recommended.

This means that the install of patch 13 is recommended but not required.

You can do either of the following:

---Stay on your current patch level and directly upgrade to 14.3

or
    ---Raise a support issue for us to provide patch 13 to you

Please let me know for any questions.

Kind Regards

Nika Hadzhikidi
    CA Technologies
    Principal Support Engineer

• 4.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Posted Oct 15, 2015 02:50 PM

Another question about upgrading to 14.3

Received 14.3 precheck warning about possibility of out of memory exception. Documentation says

You can override the default memory settings for Release 14.3. Create a file named memory.properties and place it in the install/config directory

These directories do not exist in the extracted install package. Do these directories need created?

• 5.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 15, 2015 02:57 PM

Hi Kenneth,

Please place the file in $clarity/config directory, I believe they refer to it as "install directory" where Clarity is installed.

Please let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards

Nika Hadzhikidi

CA Technologies

• 6.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Posted Oct 20, 2015 09:00 AM

There wasn't a config directory within the install directory so I created one. I then created a file named memory.properties with the following two entries;

defaultScriptMaxMem=2048m

defaultScriptPermGenMem=512m

I reran the precheck but I still received the warning about possibility of out of memory exception. Will the precheck see those new memory settings if configured correctly? 

• 7.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 20, 2015 09:42 AM

Hi Kenneth,

What I meant is Clarity directory, not the install directory where you extract the files. If you navigate to the folder where Clarity is installed you will see there is an existing /config folder, which contains different files, including hosts.xml and properties.xml. This is where you should actually place the file to. Here is a screenshot for you:

Please could you try it and let me know how it goes? Many thanks

Kind Regards

Nika Hadzhikidi
    CA Technologies

• 8.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Posted Oct 20, 2015 11:50 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I placed the memory.properties in the correct location. Should I expect the warning about the warning about possibility of out of memory to go away?

• 9.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2015 11:04 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Kenneth,

No, please note that even after placing the file the message will remain present as a Warning, since it is only checking the amount of records in the table, not the presence of the memory file. I am attaching an example file for you to check on.

Place the memory.properties in your $clarity/config directory, and the install will take the settings there instead.

I'll correct the Guides to include the proper reference to $clarity directory.

Please let me know for any questions.

Kind Regards

Nika Hadzhikidi
    CA Technologies

Attachment(s)

zip
    memory.properties.zip   192 B 1 version

• 10.  Re: Upgrading from CA PPM 13.3 to 14.3

Posted Oct 27, 2015 08:45 AM

Thanks so much for your help. Ran into a few more issues and had to open a CA help desk ticket. With the assistance from a CA technician, performed a work around for a failed security XOG issue with CMN_SEC_GROUP_ROLE_INS_SP during the 14.3 portion. Got the upgrade to finish.

Ended up rolling back the environment and attempting a complete reinstall of the 14.3 Upgrade (forgot to apply the memory setting override but turned out didn't need it I guess). We remember to reapply the CA tec144823 (this is located in the knowledgebase) to address a known issue with duplicate fields creations in the portlets filters. This attempt ran without a hitch (no work around required).

Again, thanks for you help.