DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  USM: How to create groups that all accounts can see?

Posted Jun 20, 2014 07:49 PM

• 2.  Re: USM: How to create groups that all accounts can see?

Posted Jun 20, 2014 08:58 PM

Will I am not sure here, I think what people can see depens on origin mapping on the accounts. If the group contains data with origin FOO, and an account is only allowed to view data for origin BAR, then I see no way of getting that account to view that groups content.

But I am guessing a bit here.

• 3.  Re: USM: How to create groups that all accounts can see?

Posted Jun 20, 2014 09:02 PM

Actually, I only want data with origin BAR to show up. I essentially want to create a global group where accounts can only see items according to their origin.

• 4.  Re: USM: How to create groups that all accounts can see?

Posted Jun 20, 2014 10:14 PM

USM can auto-create groups based on origin ( I actually thought it did that by default).

If you click on the cogwheel/pencil button at the top in your USM window, you can select what kind of auto-created groups you want.

• 5.  Re: USM: How to create groups that all accounts can see?

Posted Jun 22, 2014 09:30 AM

You can create groups that have no account links. However the data it contains will always have an origin, which means it will be restricted.

If you have aa origin that all accounts can see, the way to go would be to give all accounts ownership of that origin too. If not all data is there, you may want to create a dummy origin and use the qos_probes to modify the origin for specific QOS.

If I undestand correctly, you want to have a generic group that shows to all, but the data itself is origin restricted. You could just add a group with no account link and then create filters there. The data will always be origin-restricted to the users account.

-jon

• 6.  Re: USM: How to create groups that all accounts can see?

Posted Jun 23, 2014 10:37 AM

I think the original question is about if an account users from different accounts could see same groups. Account users can see only those USM groups that are spesfically allowed for them AND currenty we can only specify one accout per USM group.

So at least my current understanding is that one USM group and can only be set up for one account, there is no way that one could use one/many USM group that would be allowed for multiple accounts.

/teppo

• 7.  Re: USM: How to create groups that all accounts can see?

Posted Jun 23, 2014 12:45 PM

Tahkapaa, yes that's exactly what I'm looking for, unfortunately what you're saying about USM groups only being applied to a single account appears true, and the dynamic groups filters are so minimal it won't suffice.

• 8.  Re: USM: How to create groups that all accounts can see?

Posted Jul 29, 2014 08:26 PM

I can verify that this is true. I was looking for the same thing and Nimsoft support confirmed that it is not currently possible. I am completely awestruck that such a fundamental feature is not only completely missing but that apparently at the time, nobody had even complained about this.

I assume what the OP is trying to do (which is completely logical) is to create a group like "Servers" that ALL accounts will see, and have it filled with all servers at whatever origins that account has access to. This sounds like an incredibly basic requirement but is not possible.

We have 36 separate hubs/origins and about 30 client accounts, the fact that I have to manually go in there and define a "Servers" group (and a network device group, and an applications group, etc) for each account is insane, especially using the terrible GUI (I know it's possible via sql but it's still not something I'm willing to put myself through).

Until this functionality is present I'm not going to show USM to any of our clients.