DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Installing Relay with internet proxy

Posted Apr 12, 2011 12:37 PM

Hi

We have just started using the Nimsoft on demand setup and I am having some difficulty installing the relay server.

Seems it is trying to access nms.mydomain.com using port 80 directly, but all our traffic is routed via a proxy server on port 8080, so the connection fails.

Is there anyway to tell the relay installer about the proxy server ?

• 2.  Re: Installing Relay with internet proxy

Posted Apr 12, 2011 05:47 PM

Tim,

There are two types of connections that the relay installer attempts to make. If you use the automatic mode of the installers, it connects to my.nimsoft.com:80 to authenticate your credentials and retrieve the tunnel connection info. If you use manual mode, it does not do this because you provide the tunnel connection info yourself.

When the relay installer configures the hub, the hub should attempt to connect to your NoD instance on TCP 443. So in your case you should see attempts to connect to nms.mydomain.com:443 but not nms.mydomain.com:80. I do not think the relay installer ever tries to connect to your NoD instance on TCP 80.

If you are having problems with the connections to my.nimsoft.com:80, the latest relay installer supports proxy connections but does not work for all types of NoD instances. If you are having problems with the connections to nms.mydomain.com:443, you need to open direct access over TCP 443 through your firewall. The tunnel client in the hub cannot connect through a proxy.

If you need more in-depth assistance, it may be best to open a support case. Then we can address some questions in the specific context of your NoD instance.

-Keith

• 3.  Re: Installing Relay with internet proxy

Posted Apr 12, 2011 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info 

having checked it seems that it is just going to my.nimsoft.com:80 and this bit is failing because it is not using the proxy server!

which leads me to 2 questions - how do I get the version of the relay installed that used proxies ( download is version from site seems to be version 104)

And can I get the information to set up a manual secure tunnel

Am new to this and have requested access to the support section bur still waiting !

Thanks for your help.

• 4.  Re: Installing Relay with internet proxy
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 12, 2011 06:13 PM

New Windows relay installer is here:

http://nodcdn.nimsoft.com/installRelay_31.exe

I looked up your NoD instance, and I think this relay installer should work for you.

Note for others reading this thread: The relay installer above will not currently work for some production Nimsoft On Demand instances. (If you received relay installation instructions in a support case, this installer will not work for you.) This should be resolved in the next version of the relay installer. If you have any questions, please Nimsoft support us for assistance.

-Keith

• 5.  Re: Installing Relay with internet proxy

Posted Apr 13, 2011 04:55 PM

Thanks for the version

the code installed and seemed to work with the authenticated proxy. At least it accepted my user name and password and did the install and then started up.

But it does not appear on the list of relays at

http://209.34.86.106/nodp/pages/dashboard.jsf

or in the sass server admin pages!

Is it still being blocked?

• 6.  Re: Installing Relay with internet proxy

Posted Apr 13, 2011 05:00 PM

If it does not appear in the list on my.nimsoft.com, it is probably being blocked. You can verify this by opening the Infrastructure Manager on your NoD instance (when logged in over RDP). Any relay that is connected will appear there.

The hub.log file on the relay will probably tell you something as well. You might need to turn up the loglevel (and restart) to see something useful, but the default loglevel may give enough information about connection errors.

I suspect that if your network blocks TCP 80 to force use of the proxy, it probably does the same for TCP 443.

-Keith

• 7.  Re: Installing Relay with internet proxy

Posted Apr 14, 2011 03:34 PM

Brilliant - checked the log file and the issue is there

I assume the installer uses the proxy but the Hub program does not

I'll need to ask to get the firewall changed

( Oh and I've now got my own sign in - Tim's the boss and was originally using his account! )

Thanks

David

• 8.  Re: Installing Relay with internet proxy

Posted Apr 14, 2011 05:40 PM

Exactly correct. The installer uses HTTP to grab the tunnel connection info, and the new installer supports sending the request through a proxy. The hub tunnels use SSL but are not HTTPS, so they do not work with a proxy even though we are running them over TCP 443.

-Keith

• 9.  Re: Installing Relay with internet proxy

Posted Apr 26, 2011 06:57 PM

finally got the firwall amended to allow direct access on port 443 and relay is now working.

Thanks for the help