DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  VMWARE Probe - vmware Polling interval was less than the collection time

Posted Jan 03, 2012 10:02 PM

Any idea on this alert?  I'm hoping someone can explain what it might actually mean so I can resolve.

"...Probe: vmware
    Polling interval was less than the collection time (300 < 352) for system..."

Does this mean that the probe did not collect the data at the "Check interval" which is every 5 minutes?  I don't think it is referring to the vCenter polling interval, which by default is every 30 seconds I believe.

Any feedback is appriciated.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: VMWARE Probe - vmware Polling interval was less than the collection time

Posted Jan 03, 2012 10:28 PM
    I believe that is saying your polling time if 5 minutes yet it took almost 6 minutes to collect all the configured polling information. Not sure how the VMWARE probe will handle this situation. ie if it will skip a polling interval or just immediately execute the next polling cycle

• 3.  Re: VMWARE Probe - vmware Polling interval was less than the collection time

Posted Jan 03, 2012 10:38 PM

Thanks. 

I'll check the performance intervals in vcenter and may test changing the max concurrent connections, although I'm not sure that will help.  We have another site which has many more VM's without this issue.

I wonder if the issue is with vcenter itself not being able to gather data fast enough as I do know one of the ESX Hosts is at a remote location with a slow connection. 

• 4.  Re: VMWARE Probe - vmware Polling interval was less than the collection time

Posted Jan 09, 2017 04:59 PM

The vCenter redirects requests for host and vm metric values to the relevant ESX host, so a slow connection to one would perfectly explain this issue

• 5.  Re: VMWARE Probe - vmware Polling interval was less than the collection time

Posted Jan 09, 2017 05:00 PM

The probe will immediately begin the next collection cycle