DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How to get rid of the "my community" pages

• 1.  How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 13, 2010 02:03 PM

Hi,

We have installed the 1.5 ga UMP. After some tests and reading the documents (as far as available) the concept is still not clear enough to us.

What we have is:
    - Users created in NMS and are visible in UMP.

- all users are assigned to a specific organization.

- under that organization we created sub-organizations

What we needs is this:

- when user login it should land on the portal-homepage of that organization or suborgnaization where it is assigned to..

What it does now:

- when a user login, user now lands on the homepage of it own "my community"

We do not need the "my community" per user, user should be directed immediately to the homepage of his own organization.

My question:

- is it possible to skip "my community' or not?

- what do we wrong now?

- where can we find more documentation / explanation about how to setup UMP (A kind of roadmap for setting up and organise the UMP in relation to the NMS)

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks.

regards

Ashley

• 2.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 13, 2010 04:48 PM

I asked this in a post a while back as well.  I did find some docs on liferay to customizie where they user lands after login but I did not want to go there.  I am looking for exactly what you are to get rid of the default my community and log directly into there own organization.  For me it's not a big deal but having to show the customers that there is multiple communities would just be to confusing for them.  Let's hope to here some feedback.  I would also like to give the customer the ability to update there own password.  And even add users in there own community/organization.

• 3.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 13, 2010 05:37 PM
    Agree, and I'am confident that it will become clear soon. But for now I am littlebit reluctant to show or introduce it to my customers. We have not yet full understanding and control over it

Ashley

• 4.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 14, 2010 12:37 AM
    I would love to understand this a bit more so that I can provide a more informed answer. Can you please provide some examples or screen shots?

The NMS ACL's, users, accounts and contacts are not yet smoothly aligned with UMP's communities, organizaions, roles, etc. We plan on this functionality to be available sometime in the first half of 2011. We are currently in the investigation stage to get these functions more aligned. In addition UMP is based on Liferay and they just release version 6. This comes with a lot of the features like default views for organizations, etc. We are also currently in the investigation stage of upgrading UMP to LR 6 and hope to do this soon.

However, if you would like to create default page layouts (views) for different customers, I have put together an instructional video that covers this using "User Groups" and you can do it today. Let me know if this is close to what you want to accomplish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cDc69BY560&feature=player_embedded

• 5.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 14, 2010 04:40 PM

In your video even as user kadamson logging in it went straight to the My Community,  I would like for them to be able to log in directly to there organization content.  Hopefully attached are a couple screen shots.

• 6.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 15, 2010 11:43 AM
    sorry Ken, I was not able to respond sooner. I also watch the video but is focused on Groups. I have tried all: organizations, communities, group.... But users lands always on "my Commynity" when I send him a general linkof our portal http://nimbus.eremote.nl:8081/web/

When I introduce this to my customers we like to be in control what they will see. Otherwise they may get confused (as I was in the beginning) and lose our momentum for this great product

nb: we use the classic theme because the Nimsoft theme had some other issues about submenu's that would be solved in a later release. The Nimsoft Read-Only would be my first choice - to start.

Ashley

• 7.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 15, 2010 11:55 AM
    Sorry, forgot the account

http://nimbus.eremote.nl:8081/web - login with demo / demo99

Ashley

• 8.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 15, 2010 03:51 PM

So you think it'll be less confusing sending a customer to the 'My Organization' as opposed to 'My Community'? Interesting, and this is the first anyone has mentioned anything like this.

Why not use the URL for Organizations:

http://nimbus.eremote.nl:8081/group/control_panel/manage?p_p_id=2&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=maximized&p_p_mode=view&doAsGroupId=10240&refererPlid=10243#organizations

And embed that into their 'Home' page within My Community - would that work for you?

Dustin

• 9.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 15, 2010 04:34 PM
    - in case of new customers / users, and giving them too many feautures and options (even their own community) could be confusing / and an overkill and is therefore a risc to the appreciation of the portal-product. .

- I think it is exactly the reason why I have trouble to understand how to build and provide this service to my customers

- I do agree with Ken, UMP is not yet fully and smoothly aligned with the NMS. That makes it extra difficult for now. So maybe Nimsoft could give some example concepts how to deploy it that makes sense to MSP's.

- I am sorry but I do not understand your example. Could you elaborate some more

Ashley

• 10.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 15, 2010 04:46 PM
    Ashley, I just added a new tab to your demo account, please log back in using the demo account you provided us and you'll see the 'Organization' tab I've added. Let me know if that's closer to what you're looking for. Thanks, Dustin

• 11.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 15, 2010 05:50 PM
    Dustin, thanks for the new tab. Not sure if this solves the issue, but I now understand what you mean (as a work-around, I hope ;-). let me test it further.

• 12.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 15, 2010 06:17 PM

The one issue I have seen putting everyone in the same org is if I want to say add a message board or blog post saying maybe there is going to scheduled maint or really anything I want to relay to just one customer, I couldn;t find a way from either having no one see or everyone see it.  Using seperate orgs I was able to as administrator go to there account and update the message board, wki or blog with only them seeing it.  I tried various thing before doing this and none gave the flexability we wanted of course now it's a little harder to manage off the bat.

• 13.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Sep 19, 2010 10:16 PM
    Ok I have further tested the suggested idea of Dustin. My conclusion is that it does not realy solve my issue. Sorry

What I need is a fixed and straightforward access to the specific pages for my users/customers. nb. some customers I gave first access to UMP responded quit strong and explicit about this.

note:- we also have an issue about alarm-messages visible to a user which he is not permitted to see - security is key, must know and be able to check (in a workable way) what my customers can see. The My Community seems to do the opposite.

So I probably wait for the next release. Hopefully coming soon.

• 14.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Oct 29, 2010 12:30 AM
    Right now there is somewhat of a disconnect between UMP users, organizations, roles, comunities and the traditional NMS users, ACL's, accounts and contacts. We are currently forcing NMS into UMP and it does not play as well as it needs to. However, it is on the roadmap to investigate this end of this year and hopefully implement CYQ1 to fully manage users, roles, organizations from the portal and do away with the old NMS users/ACL's so you can take advantage of all the features that come along with that. Thanks for your feedback and patience - Ken Adamson, Product Management

• 15.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Oct 29, 2010 12:33 AM
    Another project we have going is upgrading UMP to Liferay 6. Liferay 6 has new features that allow you to have custom content based on users/roles. We will be looking into upgrading to LR 6 CYQ1. Stay tuned.

• 16.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Oct 29, 2010 02:06 PM
    I stay tuned, and thanks for your feedback :-)

Ashley

• 17.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Oct 31, 2010 12:05 AM

Ashley,

I was able to get rid of "My Community" pages, but I dont quite know how to redirect user to a default organization page (if that is possible).

I did this by adding the following lines to default portal-ext.properties file:

layout.user.private.layouts.enabled=false
    layout.user.private.layouts.auto.create=false
    layout.user.public.layouts.enabled=false
    layout.user.public.layouts.auto.create=false
    default.landing.page.path=/web/guest/home

as well as changing deaulft auth.forward.by.last.path=false setting to auth.forward.by.last.path=true.

I found this by reading liferay administrator guide.  I am not quite sure if this is best practice or works for you, but just a thought.  There might still need to be some changes made so that user can't modify /web/guest/home.

-Marius

• 18.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Oct 31, 2010 01:34 PM
    Marius,

thanks for the suggestion, I will try this on our UMP 2.0 beta..test-environment.

I am a litlebit reluctant to make big changes (under the hood) in the default UMP/Liferay environment and hope Nimsoft will provide a regular option to select:

btw - I use the classic theme now because of a small but irritating bug in selecting submenu-items. Later on I will focus on the read-only template of Nimosft again. That has limited options.

Until now, It appears that our customers are mainly interrested in a lean and mean dashboard showing the key performance indicators of their monitored network. To many option right from the beginning could scare them off, and that is not what we want

Ashley.

• 19.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 23, 2011 04:17 PM
    somewhere else on this board was suggested to add the line:

layout.user.public.layouts.enabled=false

in the file portal-ext.properties

located :

:\Program Files\Nimsoft\probes\service\wasp\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes

That did finaly the tric...

Thanks
    Ashley

• 20.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Dec 30, 2011 02:38 AM

What i did is remove it only for non Power Users in Liferay and i created non Admins under User Permissions in Liferay and that way I can still have a My Community but regular users cant. Below are the settings.

# Set this to true if users must have the Power User role to have private
    # pages.
    #
    layout.user.private.layouts.power.user.required=true
    layout.user.public.layouts.power.user.required=true

• 21.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Dec 30, 2011 03:14 AM

I uploaded a custom class to do what you want a couple weeks ago. What you have will not work on the new UMP with Liferay 6 you have to build a class/hook

• 22.  Re: How to get rid of the "my community" pages

Posted Dec 31, 2011 09:12 PM
    Thanks Jarrod. WIll look into it.