DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  How to resolve High CPU utilization

Posted Feb 09, 2014 10:47 PM

I am trying to chase down an High CPU issue on our application. We are using JBOSS EAP5.1 and introscope 9.1.1.1. I do see the graphs in introscope show me the granularity that the box is consuming 100% CPU. How do i drill down to the issue ? Can anyone help ?

• 2.  RE: How to resolve High CPU utilization

Posted Feb 09, 2014 11:05 PM

Hi,

As per my understanding, since APM is an application performance monitoring tool, you won't get a breakup of processes running on server which is consuming CPU resource. I would suggest you to log in to the box and then you can see the breakdown of this utilization. You can also take help of any server monitoring tool if it is in place.

Regards,

Mukesh Singh

• 3.  RE: How to resolve High CPU utilization

Posted Feb 09, 2014 11:10 PM

Introscope does report the HIGH CPU utilization. We do not have an EPA agent by the way. We do know from top command that the box is consuming high CPU and we are able to drill down to the  process. However, i am trying to find out what iteration in JVM is causing this high CPU. Can introscope help in this regard ? Thats basically what i am looking at. Please let me know if my question needs more explanation.

• 4.  RE: How to resolve High CPU utilization

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 09, 2014 11:20 PM
    srikuchimanchi:

Introscope does report the HIGH CPU utilization. We do not have an EPA agent by the way. We do know from top command that the box is consuming high CPU and we are able to drill down to the  process. However, i am trying to find out what iteration in JVM is causing this high CPU. Can introscope help in this regard ? Thats basically what i am looking at. Please let me know if my question needs more explanation.

Hi Srikanth,

To assist with JVM high CPU scenarios you can take a thread dump(s) of the agent JVM using the Workstation Investigator.

• 5.  RE: How to resolve High CPU utilization

Posted Feb 09, 2014 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately our organiszation doesnt give us support ppl ability to take thread dumps. However we could try taking a thread dump manually when the issue occurs. But how can i use the threaddump to identify the issue ?

• 6.  RE: How to resolve High CPU utilization

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 09, 2014 11:33 PM
    srikuchimanchi:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately our organiszation doesnt give us support ppl ability to take thread dumps. However we could try taking a thread dump manually when the issue occurs. But how can i use the threaddump to identify the issue ?

Also the Command Line Workstation (CLW) can be used:

https://comm.support.ca.com/?legacyid=TEC595969

You need to get your Application Developers involved in the debug analysis of thread dumps (google this topic and you will find lots of hits e.g. http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2012/03/jvm-how-to-analyze-thread-dump.html)

• 7.  RE: How to resolve High CPU utilization

Posted Feb 10, 2014 02:30 AM

Hi,

If you capture multiple consecutive thread dumps, you can analyze it to know which part of your java application is getting heavily used or portions of code where the application seems to be hung.

Regards,

Mukesh Singh

• 8.  RE: How to resolve High CPU utilization

Posted Feb 12, 2014 03:00 PM

Hi Sri,

Are you trying to look at the CPU consumed by the JVM process that Introscope Monitors or CPU consumed by individual processor on the box ? Is it the CPU:Utilization % (process) metric or CPU:Utilization % (aggregate) that shows 100% in the graphs ?

Thanks,

Sunil

• 9.  Re: How to resolve High CPU utilization

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 29, 2015 12:13 PM

Marking as answered.