DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  EPAgent - apache log reader plugin

Posted Jan 30, 2013 09:35 AM
    Hi,

We are monitoring apache 404 and 500 error's using apachelogreader plugin in EPAgent
    live data is showing the url that has the error.But while trying to get the historical data its showing no data for StringEvent for both 404's and 500's where as IntAverage is fine.
    EM version is 9.0.0.0.
    Can some one please help me on this.

apacheLogReader.cfg

METRICS = [

{
    match => ' 404 ',
    metricType => 'IntAverage',
    metricName => 'ErrorCount_404_PageNotFound',
    metricValue => '$CURRENTCOUNT'
    },

{
    match => '(.*\s404\s.*)',
    metricType => 'StringEvent',
    metricName => 'ErrorText_404_PageNotFound',
    metricValue => '$1'
    },

{
    match => ' 500 ',
    metricType => 'IntAverage',
    metricName => 'ErrorCount_500_ServerConfiguration',
    metricValue => '$CURRENTCOUNT'
    },

{
    match => '(.*\s500\s.*)',
    metricType => 'StringEvent',
    metricName => 'ErrorText_500_ServerConfiguration',
    metricValue => '$1'
    },

• 2.  RE: EPAgent - apache log reader plugin

Posted Jan 30, 2013 11:28 AM
    String metrics are only visible in Live mode; no historical data is saved for string metrics.

• 3.  RE: EPAgent - apache log reader plugin

Posted Jan 30, 2013 11:49 AM
    HI,

Thank you for the quick response.
    Is there any way we can save the metrics and can be viewed in historical data too.
    Like any other power pack or any other way.

• 4.  RE: EPAgent - apache log reader plugin
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2013 12:12 PM
    I've not done this myself, but you could modify the EPAgent to send ErrorSnapshots (event data) rather than String metric data for the errors your EPAgent is tracking. The CA APM Environment Performance Agent Implementation Guide touches on this in the Creating and Using Custom Plug-ins With the EPAgent chapter.

Note: Errors, like Transaction Traces, are affected by the [font=Courier New]introscope.enterprisemanager.transactionevents.storage.max.data.age property[font] of your Enteprise Manager, rather than the SmartStor tier settings. So, while you'll be able to keep historical information regarding your errors, it will not (nor should it) be for as long as your metrics summarizing the errors.

• 5.  RE: EPAgent - apache log reader plugin

Posted Feb 05, 2013 02:10 PM
    Thank you for your help Jakbutler .
    I will work on it.

Regards,
    Pujitha .

• 6.  RE: EPAgent - apache log reader plugin

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 04, 2013 10:54 AM
    Jakbutler is correct; APM does not persistent string data and there's no future roadmap for doing so.
    This data type takes up a lot of space and would adversely affect the performance of SmartStor.

Your best option, as Jakbutler stated, is to send your EPA data to Error Detector as an Error event. Alternately, you could write to a log or your own homegrown datasource.

-Hiko