Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Query for tags

Posted Oct 26, 2015 02:28 PM
    To facilitate a quick and easy Product Backlog review meeting, we have decided to tag stories and defects with "Review".  I wrote two simple queries - one for stories, one for defects - which search for Tags contains "Review".  If there's at least one instance of the tag for a story and a defect, everything works exactly as expected.  However, if there are no stories or defects tagged with the tag Review, I get an error stating "Please edit this view to correct the following error(s): Review is an invalid value".  This seems like incorrect behavior to me; the tag Review still exists, there just aren't any stories or defects which meet the query criteria.  Review isn't an invalid value; it is simply not used.  This would be the case were I to query for all defects with a defect state of "Re-Opened" and there were no such defects.

I thought I'd ask out here before I pursued the issue with the Rally folks; what am I missing here?

• 2.  Re: Query for tags

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:48 PM
    I just gave this a try and didn't get the same error:
    I created a custom grid with the query:  ( tags.name contains "zz" )  (and there are no defects or stories that have that tag)
    The custom grid shows: "Based on your selections, no work items were found"

which query/app are you using?

• 3.  Re: Query for tags

Posted Oct 27, 2015 08:13 AM
    I'm not using a custom grid; I'm using a custom view under both User Stories (Plan>User Stories) and Defects (Quality>Defects).  Creating a view with a filter for Tags contains Review shows the error I mentioned above unless there is at least one story or one defect with the tag "Review".  With your verification that a custom grid does not display the error I'm seeing, I'm more convinced this is an error I should report to Rally.

• 4.  Re: Query for tags

Posted Oct 27, 2015 08:25 AM
    Further experimentation bears out my suspicions.  If I write a different custom view which I know won't return any records, I get what I expected.  For example, if I set conditions for State = Re-Opened and Release = some release in the future, I get the message "There are no defects to display."  This is what I expected to see for the condition where no records were returned when looking for an unused tag.