CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Multi-Tenancy setup

Posted Jul 22, 2013 02:51 PM
    We are about to upgrade from SDM 12.6 to 12.7 and have some requests from other groups in our organization that would like to use SDM. We currently do not use multi-tenancy and would appreciate any input from others that have implemented multi-tenancy. Was this a relatively simple process or more complex? Do you have any advice on how to make this change go smoothly? Any ptifalls to avoid? Any impact on your original user group that would then become the primary group?
    Any advice or help will be very much appreciated!
    Victor

• 2.  RE: [CA Service Desk General Discussion] Multi-Tenancy setup
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 22, 2013 03:03 PM
    Hi Victor,

The decision on whether or not to use multi-tenancy really comes down to the difference between the business of the existing groups and the new groups – meaning, what are the functions of these new groups in comparison to the existing groups? Are they being “charged” for services or treated as a separate entity than the existing groups?

Now regarding the complexity of setting up multi-tenancy on an existing system – it is a bit of a complex task as everything now has to be “tenanted” , meaning that existing objects like incident areas, request areas, change categories, templates, surveys, contacts, access types, roles, data partitions etc. all have to be either set to global (meaning valid for all tenants) or set to a specific tenant. It can be a very time consuming process.

The biggest thing to keep in mind regarding the complexity is that once you change a system into a multi-tenanted system, it can be extremely difficult to un-tenant a system, if it can be done at all. So the best bet would be to create a new system to replicate your production system on first, and test out multi-tenancy there first to see if it would met your needs.

Most organizations that use multi-tenancy are using it as a MSP (mass service provider) where they handle tickets for multiple customers, each customer being a tenant on the system, each getting charged separately for delivered services. So if your situation does not really fit that type of model, then you may want to try and avoid using multi tenancy in your environment and use other means of separating these groups and what they have access to etc.

We can help you with that by answering any questions you may have regarding your current situation – so definitely provide some more details about the new or additional groups you are onboarding and we can better answer you as to whether or not Multi-Tenancy would be the right choice for you or not ;)

Thanks,
    Jon Israel
    Principal Support Engineer
    CA Technologies

• 3.  RE: [CA Service Desk General Discussion] Multi-Tenancy setup

Posted Jul 22, 2013 03:30 PM
    Thank-you Jon and Brian for your quick and informative replies.

I have looked in the Implementation Guide and other manuals but I appreciate the details on these other tech docs. I'll definitely take a look at them.

I also appreciate the general info on how to decide whether to go to multi-tenancy or not. I will get together with the people that will make the decision (I only implement them) and find out their specific needs.

Thanks again!
    Victor

• 4.  RE: Multi-Tenancy setup

Posted Jul 23, 2013 01:23 AM
    Just to confuse you even further... :lol:

You may also want to check Service Contracts and see if they can be used for your customer before you consider Multi-Tenancy

• 5.  RE: Multi-Tenancy setup

Posted Jul 22, 2013 03:14 PM
    Hi Victor,

There is a chapter in the Implementation Guide dedicated to Multi-Tenancy, I would start there.

Also have a look at the following tech docs:

i. TEC570119 - Scenario: Implement Multi-Tenancy - Part 1

ii. TEC480442 - What is Multi-Tenancy?

iii. TEC480443 - How to configure Multi-Tenancy?

iv. TEC570221 - Scenario: Implement Multi-Tenancy - Part 2

There is also a few topics similar to yours in this forum. Just do a seach for Multi-Tenancy...

Hope this helps...

Regards,
    Brian