Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Task Duration for tasks in project

• 1.  Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Sep 26, 2012 04:46 AM
    Hi All,

Has anyone implemented task duration feature (just as it is in MSP) for the tasks in clarity?
    It is taking time to enter start date and finish date for each and every task and I'm creating multiple tasks for multiple templates, hence thought of bringing this feature into clarity but I'm running short of time.

If anyone has already done this, request you to share it. Thanks in advance..-_-

Regards,
    Ritesh

• 2.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Sep 26, 2012 07:30 AM
    Hi Ritesh,

Have you tried to configure the field "Duration". It would give you the duration value I guess.

• 3.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Sep 26, 2012 05:12 PM
    At least in the task list and WBS view the task duration in not editable.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Sep 27, 2012 12:03 PM
    Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the information. As martti said that duration is not editable and moreover it doesn't work like the task duration in MSP.

Regards,
    Ritesh.

Hi Martti,

Yes, it is not editable and moreover it doesn't work like MSP task duration.

As we are aware, in MSP we enter the task duration and based on the start date the finish date is calculated automatically. But the duration in clarity is calculated based on the dates entered.
    I have tried this, I gave a duration say 5 and the start date and finish date are same.. and I saved it, the duration changed to 1 and then it was not editable after that .
    This 'duration' will not reduce my effort entering SD & FD for multiple tasks in multiple templates.

Thanks & Regards,
    Ritesh Kumar

• 5.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Jan 21, 2013 05:57 AM
    Hi Ritesh,

I have the same problem and question than you.

And one additional question:

Duration is a calculated field based in start /finish dates and working days.

I would like to have the duration in calendar days instead of working days, but I have not resources assigned to tasks so the solution cannot be based in resource calendar.

I remember calendars can be defined and assigned to projects in OWB but at the moment I am scheduling only from Clarity.

Any suggestion?

• 6.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 08:02 AM
    Hi Daniperez,

That was part of my requirement too, though its not mentioned here.

So you say that your solution should be independent of your calendar (resource assigned/ resource not assigned doesn't matter in anyway) right?

there are many ways.. only thing is you need to get time to implement it.:smile

I would go for a java code where I get flexibility to play with many things (date , arithmetic operations etc.) and later use it in a script. I don't know much about OWB as I have never used it.

Let me know If you want me to explain more about it, I'll spend some time on this.

Regards,
    Ritesh

• 7.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Jan 23, 2013 05:39 PM
    When you get into v13.x you can drag tasks to the duration you want in the interactive Gantt view.
    (Not in v12.1)

Martti K.

• 8.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Jan 24, 2013 04:24 AM
      |   view attached
    Yes Martti, from v13 configure a duration is easier than filling the date column, however you have to calculate the number of days on your own, because the visual resizing process show dates instead of duration.

However, for me the main problem is duration calculated in working days when I need calendar days
    And at the moment I have only a workaround, that is a new calculated attribute i.e "my_duration" with the result of a Datedifference() between task start and finish

any other idea?

• 9.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Jan 24, 2013 05:20 AM
    If it were OWB you could copy the start dates into Excel , calculate the durations there and paste back the calculated end dates.

Martti K.

• 10.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Jan 24, 2013 05:48 AM
    In v13. which is always in edit mode you can do the calculations in in Excel. There is no grid copy so you have copy the start dates individually as well as paste.
    The durations in Excel are calendar day.
    When you paste to Clarity they seem to stick, but the duration is recalculated in working days.
    You can do it in the WBS view or in the Gantt chart.

The reputed grid copy in v13.2 will only copy and paste TSV grids not WBS nor Gantt

Martti K.

• 11.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Mar 05, 2013 11:44 AM
      |   view attached
    Martin, Firefox supports multiple row selection in tables, and it is very useful. You can select/copy many rows from WBS Task list (not from Gantt task list), so you can paste in excel in one step, but the problem is to paste to Clarity, step which has to be done individually with each row

Just press "Control" key and select the rows (See the screenshot)

Multiple selection tests:
    FF v3.6, v17 Yes
    IE v9 - No
    G. Chrome V23 -No

another_martink wrote:

In v13. which is always in edit mode you can do the calculations in in Excel. There is no grid copy so you have [color=#c43c3c]copy the start dates individually[color] as well as paste.
    The durations in Excel are calendar day.
    When you paste to Clarity they seem to stick, but the duration is recalculated in working days.
    You can do it in the WBS view or in the Gantt chart.

The reputed grid copy in v13.2 will only copy and paste TSV grids not WBS nor Gantt

Martti K.

• 12.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Mar 05, 2013 12:22 PM
    Yes that is true. I use it in Firefox all the time.
    For some reason when making the post I started from Gantt view and did not try that in WBS view.
    Thank you pointing that out.

Martti K.

• 13.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Aug 30, 2013 05:46 PM
    By the way, is it possible, to show in the gantt, the Duration by calendar, not in work days? I have a project that need this information.:sad:sad

• 14.  RE: Task Duration for tasks in project

Posted Sep 02, 2013 11:05 AM
      |   view attached
    By Gantt do you mean in the Gantt graph or Gantt columns?

Anyway there is not any supported way to do it with OOTB Duration field however the following workaround could help (or not...)

For Gantt columns: display a calculated attribute, i.e "Real_Duration" with the result of a Datedifference() between task start and finish.
    For Graph bars: use the option "Label for bar", which can display a string attribute, this string attribute could have a value from a query lookup and receive the calendar/real duration(finish-start)

harlem-celepar wrote:

By the way, is it possible, to show in the gantt, the Duration by calendar, not in work days? I have a project that need this information.:sad:sad