Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  URL Encoding shows on!!

Posted Sep 21, 2010 08:48 AM
    Hi,

This morning our production environment shows URL encoding for some reason.

Text labels and dropdowns that have hard-coded values (i.e. not coming from database0 show URL Encoding:

Example:
    [en - %7B0%7D%20Filter%20Mode]

I read the "en User%20Name Error" message in the board but it does not help us.

This happens with IE, Firefox and Chrome.

Version is 12.05

We are opening a ticket with CA and are thinking of restarting the app, but before we go that drastic route (the process of restarting a live production operation is very invoplved here with tickets and notifications to thousands of users), I thought I'd ask.

Why would this happen all of a sudden? It was fine yesterday night. The test environment is fine. All that happened was a regular nightly backup operation.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Alex

• 2.  RE: URL Encoding shows on!!
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 21, 2010 08:50 AM
    Hello Alex

1. Flush the caches
    2. Restart the apps

This should eradicate the issue.

Regards
    NJ

• 3.  RE: URL Encoding shows on!!

Posted Sep 21, 2010 08:52 AM

navzjoshi00 wrote:

Hello Alex

1. Flush the caches
    2. Restart the apps

This should eradicate the issue.

Regards
    NJ
    Thanks. How do I flush the cache? (I know how to restart niku).

• 4.  RE: URL Encoding shows on!!

Posted Sep 21, 2010 08:56 AM
    Hello Alex

By accessing 'security.caches' page

e.g.

http://<clarity link>/niku/app?action=security.caches

Regards
    NJ

• 5.  RE: URL Encoding shows on!!

Posted Sep 22, 2010 09:52 AM
    Thanks for the info. We spent over two hours with CA Support on the phone.

Clearing the cache did not work. Restarting the services did.

To help somebody else in the future this is what we found:

They identified from studying our logs, that a big nightly job (DATAMART - takes almost 5 hours to run) run out of memory. The services restarted and somehow did not come up correctly so the Clarity 12.0.5 was running but the interface was screwy as there was no URL decoding being applied. Database data was fine (reports and so on) but hardcoded labels, button captions and hardcoded dropdowns with more than one word showed URL Encoding instead of spaces, colons, etc.

We are addressing the memory issue so hopefully this will not happen in the future. In any case a restart of the services cleared the interface.

Thanks,

Alex

(note: message edited for typos)

• 6.  RE: URL Encoding shows on!!

Posted Sep 22, 2010 07:29 PM
    Thank you Alex for sharing this with everyone!

Chris

• 7.  RE: URL Encoding shows on!!

Posted Oct 07, 2010 12:48 PM

Alex_Feldstein wrote:

Thanks for the info. We spent over two hours with CA Support on the phone.

Clearing the cache did not work. Restarting the services did.

To help somebody else in the future this is what we found:

They identified from studying our logs, that a big nightly job (takes almost 5 hours to run) run out of memory. The services restarted and somehow did not come up correctly so the Clarity 12.0.5 was running but the interface was screwy as there was no URL decoding being applied. Database data was fine (reports and so on) but hardcoded labels, button captions and hardcoded dropdowns with more than one word showed URL Encoding instead of spaces, colons, etc.

We are addressiong the memory issue so hopefully this will not happen in the future. In any case a restart of the servodces cleared the interface.

Thanks,

Alex
    Alex can you give me a little more detail on this. When you say you tracked this issue down to a memory issue, are you talking about DIMM or DASD? Are you on a unix or windows box? To resolve this did you simple add the needed memory or did you adjust the job the was running for 5 hours?

Thanks
    Scott

• 8.  RE: URL Encoding shows on!!

Posted Oct 11, 2010 09:17 AM
    We are running on Windows Server 2003. We did not add any physical memory as it is maxed out. The magicians at our network center added something to use a pool of shared memory in case of need. I do not know the details.