DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

d.pereyra

d.pereyraJun 16, 2015 08:17 AM

• 1.  Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 09:06 AM

Hi folks, i recently installed Spectrum 10 and cabi 4.1, and i cannot do the integration, i got this error:

Error importing SRM content: Required dependencies not found on target system : '[AVYDObjipdxKrrrygS6CMmU, AXwuBX_sujVHmcMI6.X9taI, AQck.q67O5dHtfsJTBBtsU0, AQuGhZ2EfP1NkSXoQTUcKz0, AWrzaVbUYLlMuwq2JW16UUc]' (FWM 04014)

I search solution but i cannot find it for this version of spectrum and cabi.

Thanks in advance!

Diego

• 2.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 10:30 AM

Hi Diego,

This error means that the default folders and groups were not added into BOXI for some reason.

The fix is to run BIConfig manually.

Here are the steps to do that:

- Located in Disk1/cabi/biconfig directory of CABI
    installation disk.
    - Set a JAVA_HOME variable to where BOXI has their
    SDK.
    Windows: C:\Program
    Files\CA\SC\CommonReporting3\javasdk
    UNIX:
    /opt/CA/SharedComponents/CommonReporting3/bobje/jdk
    - From the biconfig directory, run:
    - Windows:
    biconfig.bat -h "<BOXI hostname>" -u
    "Administrator" -p "<admin password>" -
    f "<CABI install media directory>\Disk1\cabi\content\cabi_default_groups.xml"
    -if "<CABI install media
    directory>\Disk1\cabi\content\ CABI_DefaultGroups.biar"
    - UNIX: use biconfig.sh
    - If Administrator has no password, remove the p
    option.

- Retry the integration.

If you are still having issues after attempting this, please contact Support and we will assist!

Thanks,

Matt

• 3.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 11:45 AM

Thanks Matthew, but that is for CABI3,  directories change

I have the biconfig.sh folder inside  /utilities/biconfig/ but i cannot find the others files to run it.

and  ran the "Post Installation Configuration for CABI" without problems.

Post Installation Configuration for CABI - CA Spectrum - 10.0 - CA Wiki

• 4.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 12:08 PM

You are right, sorry I missed the 10.0 part!

I am seeing the BIAR file located here:

utilities\PostInstall\ca_sample_biars

But I do not see the XML file anywhere.

I will need to check into the process for this on 10.0/CABI 4.1.

This really shouldn't have happened.

Let's get a support ticket open.  I would open it for you but I am not sure what site you are from.

Once the ticket is open, please post the ticket number here and I will take ownership of it.  You can then mark this as 'Answered' since we will continue in the support ticket.  I can repost here after we find the solution.

• 5.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 12:15 PM

I wouldn’t use the biconfig, I’d use the importwiz.

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec509865.aspx?intcmp=searchresultclick&resultnum=11

Please respond with any questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Regards,

Chris Thomas
    Principal Support Engineer

Identity Manager Reporting Expert

ca technologies | One CA Plaza | Islandia, NY 11749 | (631) 342-4360

• 6.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 12:35 PM

Thanks Chris.  That assumes Windows.  Import Wizard is not available on the other operating systems.

Either way - this should not happen on a fresh installation - so we should take a look!

• 7.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 12:37 PM

Thanks Chris, i will check about the commands for linux.

• 8.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 01:04 PM

Matthew the BIARs files i download from oneclick using utilities/SpectrumUpdate/SpectrumUpdate.sh

• NEW_Multi-SRM.lcmbiar
    • NEW_SpectrumUtil.war

but where is the XML?

• 9.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 11, 2015 02:40 PM

Hi Diego,

Yeah, I am not sure if the process is the same for CABI 4.1.

Let me find out for you - did you open a ticket yet?

If you get me your site ID I can get it opened for you.

Thanks!
    matt

• 10.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 15, 2015 05:16 AM

Hello Diego,

Try this

Please follow the steps to resolve the customer issue:

a. Log into OC machine.

b. Move all *.biar files to a backup folder except CABI_DefaultGroups.biar

c. Do the integration, It should be successful and must have all the required user groups in place.

You may see the follow error which you ignore: Error importing SRM content: Error modifying report database parameters: could not find the CA Spectrum folder. Please verify that SRM content was imported successfully.

d. Now, restore all the biar files from backup folder and perform the integration.

This worked for one of our customer.

• 11.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 16, 2015 08:17 AM

Yes, i didn't work. same error.

• 12.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2015 07:22 PM

This is the complete version of Kalyan's steps above.

1. Make sure you have done the Post Installation Configuration for CABI steps as per the following link.

https://wiki.ca.com/display/CASP10/Post%20Installation%20Configuration%20for%20CABI

Note: The PostInstall script, even after successful execution gives the "Post installation is completed with errors" message. Ignore this message. This is the known anomaly.

2. Move all biar files on your OneClick Server under $SPECROOT/Install-Tools/SRM-Tools/BIAR directory except the following

CABI_DefaultGroups.biar

repmgr-core.biar

keep them in a backup directory.

3. Test the integration and then run the integration again. Integration process may take time. Just leave it and wait for the end result.

4. Once the integration is successful restore back moved biar files into the original directory and click the [Update Content] button on Administration -> Report Manager -> Manage Business Objects Content page. This process may take time. Just leave it and wait for the end result.

• 13.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 16, 2015 07:47 AM

Hi Widjaja,

After integration is complete, were you able to run reports ?

regards,

Prem

• 14.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 16, 2015 08:25 AM

yes, i ran the post instalation commands.. but now i run it again and i find something weird, maybe an error.

The second step,  "Configure the Database Driver" execute the "nvm_boxi_post_install_unix.sh" .. but i run it and no message of any kind...  so i open the script and in the line #129 it run the following

CONFIG_PATCH=${BO_INSTALL_PATH}generic/configpatch.sh

but that directory and file doesn't exist in instalation or in the iso file.

find  /opt/CA/SharedComponents/CommonReporting4/ -name configpatch.sh

find  /mnt/iso/ -name configpatch.sh

could be because of that i cannot do the integration correctly?

Thanks for help !

diego

• 15.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 18, 2015 02:52 PM

well..  i install it under a windows 2008 R2, and guess what? same error !!!!! where are the post instalation steps for windows? there are any?

im getting tired of cabi...

• 16.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 18, 2015 04:28 PM

Hi Diego,

Did the steps posted not help?

I tested them here on the system getting the same error and this resolved the problem.

1. Move all BIAR files out of the $SPECROOT/Install-Tools/SRM-Tools/BIAR directory except for CABI_DefaultGroups.biar

2. Enable the integration and save.  You may get another error, please ignore.

3. Move ALL BIAR files back into place, try integration again.

If this does not work, please get a support ticket open so we can work on it more closely.  Put the ticket number here so I can look it up.

Thanks!

Matt

• 17.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 19, 2015 02:47 AM

Other posibility can be if you had more than 1 IP Addresses or interfaces configured/installed that not all BI services are started. In my case the InputFileRepository is not running after the installation of CABI. You can check the status in the CMC.

Look at the Central Configuration Manager that all BI Services are running under the Server Intelligence Agent-->Manage Servers (select Server Inte...)-->Menu bar-->Server Icon with the check mark-->most important is that the [Host].InputFileRepository is running and enabled.

In case of multible IP Interfaces it can be that you must bind the IP Address on the Service in the CMC

CMC Home-->Servers-->Nodes-->[CABI Host]-->[CABI Host]-InputFileRepository-->properties-->common Settings-->Ip-Address--> set to the primary IP Address

Alex

• 18.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 19, 2015 11:00 AM

Matthew, the error in step 2 say

"Error importing SRM content: Error modifying report database parameters: could not find the CA Spectrum folder. Please verify that SRM content was imported successfully."   I ignore it and integrate again with all biar files back in folder.

Processing your request, please wait.................

and Successfully enabled the integration with BOXI.

Take more time than before, a lot more, burit finished well

I have been working with spectrum over five years as a consultant did a long time ago and customer support, but the CABI always brings me headaches.

thanks for everybody! hope this post help to many others!

• 19.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 19, 2015 08:01 AM

Hello Diego,

Thanks for your comments, I have been honest about this, we know CABI can be a pain in the neck.

With 10.0 - we have tried to improve many things including some better documentation. We believe things are better, but maybe in some cases they could be falling short in some specific areas - we will work through it.
    Can you please work with support and they will pull in our experts..

One other thing we are trying to do is getting away with the CABI dependency altogether

We do have some promising research items going on where we intend to expose some views/schema as well as app/s to connect Spectrum reporting data to any reporting tool of your choice.

This is work in progress and we intend to work with a sample set of customers to try it out - stay tuned on this topic - you will hear from me very soon on this

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

• 20.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 22, 2015 02:50 AM

Hi Kiran

A solution which delivered a single installed instance of a reporting system (Jaspersoft?) that could:

1. collect and report for multiple Spectrum, UIM and possibly CSM instances

2. Maintain multi tenant capability

3.  Allow data from the different system to be combined in reports.

would reduce hardware and training costs and be a real silo-breaker.

Regards

Stephen.

• 21.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 23, 2015 12:51 PM

Hi Kiran,

we would highly appreciate something more lightweight and more easy to integrate, which is less of a pain.

Greetings,

Benjamin

• 22.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 23, 2015 05:19 PM

Hello Stephen, Benjamin, Team,

So let me clarify our thought process here..

We will continue to ship CABI for people who want to continue to use it (as CABI team continues to make it simple and more robust)

The initiative we are trying to research and move forward with is for customers who do not want to use CABI - just bypass it

So the idea is that we expose the view for those customers, with schema documentation - along with atleast the two key following things:

1. Schema documentation along with sample queries for reports that users can use

2. Sample application with JDBC code that will allow users to push the data from the sample queries into a reporting platform of their choice (our sample app will use one for example)

The goal would be customers use the queries, modify it as per their need based on the schema as well as the reference guide and then use teh sample app and customize it as well.

So use the content, in a very flexible format and then push it to your org's standardized reporting format - all this avoiding CABI..

Suggestions/critique welcome. We will be soliciting nominations very soon from people who would be interested in this that we would collaborate with in teh coming weeks. Look out for that

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

• 23.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Sep 10, 2015 12:07 PM

Can we please get some sort of report tool that is not pain to install and works? I'm sure Business Objects can stand on it's own but when it comes to integrating with Spectrum 10.x to BO 4.1sp3  one never has any real assurance that not only will the install work but what should be simple every day operations like running reports and having them distributed to end users will work.    Is is too aggravating.

• 24.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Jun 24, 2015 07:47 AM

Hi Kiran, now its working. but im out of memory, its a testing lab, will be ok. I hope this post help to improvements and help promote future versions and updates.

• 25.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Sep 25, 2015 03:21 PM

Hello Kiran,

We are also having a problem trying to upgrade from 3.3 to 4.1. This is only in our development environment, which must work before we can even consider upgrading production. We do already have an open issue, but after several weeks we still cannot get the data to migrate.

We have many essential reports in our production Spectrum environment that have to keep running, and rebuilding them from scratch would take a considerable amount of time.

We can't wait for a replacement for BOXI, since you've now published end-of-life for BOXI 3.x. We do see UIM on the horizon as a Spectrum replacement, but it will be months before we could migrate our whole environment.

So we need a reliable postinstall migration from 3.3 to 4.1.

Regards,

Joe Poutre

BNP Paribas

• 26.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Nov 13, 2015 09:07 AM

I wonder if its posible use CABI 3.3 with spectrum 10, maybe ?

• 27.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2015 09:24 AM

Hey Diego,

Nope, unfortunately it does not and moreso with CABI 3.3 set to be EOS very soon, that is not a good idea.

As I mentioned earlier, we are looking at Jaspersoft as the platform for Spectrum Reporting..

We have made good progress in terms of feasibility et al - and from an installation and maintenance perspective, our evaluation shows it would be much better. We have a session at CAW where we do talk about it and show a demo of the same...

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

• 28.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Nov 13, 2015 09:39 AM

At what version of Spectrum can we expect to see the Jasper soft integration?  I'm about to pull my hair out with CABI and all its problems. Also for those of us who can't make CA World will the presentations be streamed?

• 29.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2015 10:08 AM

My friend - we will ensure we have all key information passed on to the communities.

You should see Jaspersoft based reports "soon" 

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

• 30.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Dec 04, 2015 09:35 AM

A teammate of mine, working with CA Support, was able to finally get our development environment working, so we will be able to move to Spectrum 10, just as we are starting our rollout of CA UIM to replace it.

• 31.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Dec 05, 2015 09:47 AM

You're moving from Spectrum to UIM? May I ask why?

• 32.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2015 09:04 AM

Thanks Catalin - I had the exact same question. Can you please elaborate JoeP?

It would be good info for the entire team

Regards,Kiran Diwakar

• 33.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Dec 06, 2015 09:13 AM

Kiran,

I went through a heck of a time with this but was ultimately able to get it resolved with the help with William Wolforth in support and a patch that had to be applied.

David

• 34.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Dec 07, 2015 12:54 PM

The following are based on our findings and requirements; you may have different requirements.

First, SysEdge no longer is under active development. We are at VAIM 12.8.2 and SysEdge 5.8.2, and don't want to go to 12.9/5.9 since there doesn't seem to be anything added that we will use.VAIM gives me agita, being not entirely stable, and we've lost the ability to install/upgrade SysEdge agents remotely. While we could have this investigated and addressed, our efforts now are directed toward the actively-supported UIM and other projects.

Even more important, UIM offers active monitoring, while Spectrum relies on traps from SysEdge, and converting all monitoring of SysEdge to be Spectrum based would be a huge undertaking and require adding Spectrum systems.

UIM will always know the current state of a monitored resource, and so if the device is temporarily put into maintenance, once it comes out anything that violates the monitoring parameters will then generate an alarm. Spectrum will ignore traps from SysEdge while a server is in maintenance, and will not update the current state of a server once said server comes out of maintenance. Too often we have servers suffer a problem while in Maintenance mode, and we also often have alarms that are not cleared automatically because the clear trap came while the server was in Maintenance.

UIM also offers many pre-configured monitoring options, while in SysEdge we have to design our own monitoring templates for applications and services.

UIM has a single monitoring console, while we presently have VAIM, Spectrum, eHealth, and Performance Center. (Note that UIM does have three different GUI interfaces, including two for configuration, so it is not entirely better.)

Therefore, we are going to UIM for most of our server monitoring. (We have some systems monitored by other applications for a variety of reasons, all internal to BNPP.)

Regards,

Joe Poutre

BNP Paribas

• 35.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Dec 08, 2015 10:11 AM

Hi JoeP,

I am using the same solution you are with eHealth/Spectrum/VAIM/Sysedge/CAPC. I'm still struggling with the decision of whether (or when!) to convert our implementation as well.  However, aside from maybe VAIM/Sysedge, these products are not being replaced by UIM.  They announced at CA World that going forward Spectrum will be the fault management component of UIM. (CA has finally stopped trying to kill Spectrum and have embraced it for the coolness that it is!)  UIM is adding "eHealth-like" capabilities, but there is still a lot of work to be done in that space. And CAPC is really for something else entirely.

Just curious... are you only doing server monitoring?  Or, are you doing network and other types of monitoring as well?   If you're only doing server monitoring, then moving to UIM is probably a good idea since that's the space it was originally created for.  I'm not a UIM person yet, but if you lost the ability to deploy your sysedge agents remotely, wouldn't you also lose the ability to deploy probes remotely as well?  (again, I'm not up on UIM yet and this is a question I have about probe deployment, too.)

The main area I see causing the most work for me is converting all my SystemEDGE policies and templates over to UIM robots and probes.  I haven't seen or heard of any tool that is coming from CA that will help with that particular part of the work.  So, if you have tons of sysedge policies, then you'll have to create tons of robots and probes to get your environment to be similarly monitored.  I don't think that part of the conversion is going to be a small amount of work.  I, too, like the preconfigured probe capabilities.  But, most environments still require customizing these to meet specific needs and I don't see a reduction in the workload there.

For me and my staff of myself and I, the biggest part of this decision is the time and resource trade off.  It's not exactly simple to determine how much work will be involved to rip and replace the existing solution with UIM (quantifying the number of profiles/policies/templates/AIMs/SPM tests/etc that have to be reinvented as robots/probes, training on the new platform, learning the new ways to manage the implementation and deployments, etc,).  When does the trade off become palatable in terms of ROI?  At the end of the day, after spending the time and resources to do the replacement, my environment will be roughly similar to what I already had, just with different problems. 

I've been following this particular topic for a year now and CA is definitely making great strides towards getting this together.  But, I'm still waiting for the thing that makes me say "Ok, THAT'S the thing I've been waiting for!  Now it's time for me to become a UIM guy!"

I'm interested in hearing how your conversion proceeds and how much time and effort this takes.  I hope you'll share your results with the community!

Chris

• 36.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Posted Dec 15, 2015 01:33 PM

Hi Chris,

We'll be using UIM for server monitoring and for other features such as HTTP and DNS, things we do now with Spectrum and SysEdge.

As I said, SysEdge development has essentially stopped, even for fundamental issues. And relying on traps that can be discarded if the device happens to be in Maintenance too often causes us to miss alarms, or to have alarms persist after the problem is resolved.

Based on the training session (essential to understanding UIM) we can hand off installation of the agent to the OS engineers, which can be done from within the console. I've tested this on a couple servers and it seems to work. We will, of course, test this more thoroughly.

And (again based solely on the training, not actual testing on our part yet) configuration deployment can be automated based on the OS and information such as what apps the server runs, and whether it is production or DR, and likely other factors.

We are also going to take advantage of this migration to review and clean up our current monitoring profiles and templates because the profiles were created years ago, and some templates are either unused or unneeded.

So in our case it is a combination of We Want To Get Off VAIM And SysEdge, and We Have to Migrate Eventually So Let's Get Started.

Regards,

Joe

• 37.  Re: Spectrum 10 CABI integration fail

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2015 04:51 AM

Hi David,

Thanks so much, the patches you allude are being bundled for all.

The question was more around moving from Spectrum to UIM...

Regards,Kiran Diwakar