Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  PromptSet tips and tricks

Posted Oct 23, 2014 03:45 PM
    Hello, 

I just wanted to share with the community a trick that a coworker had shared with me earlier this week. 

On promptset's with time stamp components, you can change the default value to be reflected with the current time, but using &$PHYS_DATE_yymmdd as the default value. I though this was a pretty slick way of going about it. 

Do any of you out there have any tips or tricks about promptsets you wouldn't mind sharing?

• 2.  PromptSet tips and tricks

Posted Oct 24, 2014 12:28 PM
    More like a "gotcha" ... if you have a prompt on an object and then use it as a child within a workflow, it may not work how you expect. (At least it was a surprise for us.)

Say you have:
    - CHILD_JOB with a prompt set that contains variable &MY_VAR# with default value 0
    - PARENT_WORKFLOW with a variable defined &MY_VAR# with value 1  (either using the same prompt set as was used on the child, or using another prompt set, or just defined as a variable)
    - Variables tab on CHILD_JOB has a menu that says "Inherit from Parent" and value is set to "All variables"  (switching to "Prompt Sets" item does remove this menu, so it's not technically misleading)

Your CHILD_JOB in the workflow will run with &MY_VAR# set to value 0.

The only way to overcome it is to use the Task Properties within the workflow, and fill out the child job's prompt with  the variable name, &MY_VAR#.