DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Update "User Tag 1" via UIM-API

Posted Sep 09, 2021 04:46 AM
    Hi,

I am trying to update the attribute "User Tag 1" of a device via REST API (uimapi, DX IM 20.3.3).

I tried all different ways that are listed in the uimapi documentation and Swagger info to update the attribute of a device, but nothing works,

In none of my tests the "User Tag 1" value shown in the Operator Console Device Details is updated.

Does anybody have an idea (or better even example) how to achieve this?

Background of this use case:
    The customer wants to create dynamic groups based on the value in "User Tag 1", and this attribute should be set from a value that is available in a CMDB.  A script is reading the value from the CMDB and then via REST API finding the device in UIM (working fine) and is supposed to update the value (not working yet).

Thanks for any idea or help.
    Michael

------------------------------
    Senior Enterprise Architect
    MAXXYS AG
    Germany

• 2.  RE: Update "User Tag 1" via UIM-API

Posted Sep 09, 2021 08:20 AM
    Hi Michael, 

have you seen this discussion ?

https://community.broadcom.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=772297

Here is explained how this user_tag values are getting added to the database either if it comes from a controller or a hub. I´m not sure if it will be possible to add those via Rest API consistently.

Kind regards,
    Britta

• 3.  RE: Update "User Tag 1" via UIM-API

Posted Sep 09, 2021 09:17 AM
    Thanks Britta for this reference.
    It explains very well how the User Tags are set on the Controller/Hub.
    Due to this very special role these attributes have, we decided to use a different attribute, one that can be directy set for the device in the inventory via API.

I was starting with this entire investigation, because in the Operator Console Device Detail it looks like two "normal" attributes of the device.
    And the examples in the Swagger interface (uimapi) all contain these attributes in the xml.
    But I have also seen other attributes which are not working at all or have different names that must be used.
    Thus, the documentation of the Swagger UI is "irritating" (not to say "wrong") in several places.

I am now following up with the "Description" field, which can easily be set via API and can also be used as criteria for Dynamic Groups.
    The only disadvantage is, that this attribute is not visible in the Device Information (if anybody knows a way to make that visible, please let me know).

Michael

MAXXYS AG
    Germany

• 4.  RE: Update "User Tag 1" via UIM-API

Posted Sep 09, 2021 09:27 AM
    Hi Michael, can you send a screenshot where exactly you are missing the Device Description ? Is this in the OC Inventory ?

Kind regards,
    Britta

• 5.  RE: Update "User Tag 1" via UIM-API

Posted Sep 09, 2021 09:37 AM
    Hi Britta,

I am going into the Inventory in the Operator Console, and then select any of the devices, to look at the Device Details.
    Description is neither shown in the Quick Info, nor in the Device Details:

But it is set, as you can see in the criteria of the Dynamic Group:

Michael

MAXXYS AG
    Germany