DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  EMC VMAX/VNX

Posted Jun 29, 2011 02:18 PM

Couple of questions here, the first is are there any plans to produce a probe for the EMC VNX? The second question is are there any plans for the VMAX probe to support collecting QOS for auto-tiering (FastCache or FastVP)?

Thank you

• 2.  Re: EMC VMAX/VNX

Posted Jun 29, 2011 02:48 PM

Kevin,

I know we have plans to support VNX though I'm not positive on the timeline, I'm also uncertain about your VMAX question so I've emailed our PM for storage - expect to see a post on this shortly.

Dustin

• 3.  Re: EMC VMAX/VNX

Posted Jun 29, 2011 03:51 PM

Hi,

EMC VNX = Celerra head on Clariion body. VNX comes with series 5000 and 7000 with this combination. EMC did this repackaging of the products based on the popular combined config they saw working out.. Especailly, VCE part of EMC pushed the EMC storage guys to have this done. Also EMC needed something to be annouced.  EMC essentially put a lipstick on the config combo. They even went as far as to modify their Unisphere config tool to recognize that it is VNX.. :smileyhappy:  They mixed up Celerra and Clariion config steps, though still separate.  For VNX, you still need to connect to Celerra Control Station and SPA and SPB for Clariion.  We confirmed from EMC/VNX that our probes for Celerra and Clariion are sufficient for VNX. No separate probe doing the same thing required. So we support EMC VNX 5000 and 7000 today with celerra and clariion probes together.

We are in the process of validating VNXe model with Celerra probe.

For Vmax question.. do we support metrics for autotiering (Fast cahe or Fast VP?

> Yes, we do have a set of metrics for FASTcache but for Clariion.. See attached.. We do not have those for Vmax currently. I will investigate further and circle back.

Thanks,

Lax

• 4.  Re: EMC VMAX/VNX

Posted Jun 30, 2011 06:38 PM

Thank you for the response Lax, much appreciated. I am now using a combination of the Clariion and Celerra probes to monitor these devices and have also set up the SNMPTD probe for snmp traps from the VNX.

I would be interested to know what you find on the VMAX.

Thanks again

Kevin