DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  EMC SAN Monitoring

Posted Oct 23, 2008 03:12 AM
    I would like to be able to monitor (EMC) SAN usage using NimBUS. The only thing that I was able to do thus far is to monitor the pre-defined volumes using the VMWare probes. As nice as it is, it's still very limited since I can only view the volumes that are mounted on that specific system. In this case an ESX server.

My goal is to be able to monitor usage of LUNs and unallocated space. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  EMC SAN Monitoring

Posted Oct 23, 2008 04:18 AM
    Is there a command you can run on a system with the NimBUS robot that would give you the information you need?  I have done several custom probes in Perl that just use the output of some command to collect data.  Very recently I did this for some SAN data by querying the SVC (not sure about models, although I think it is IBM).

The engineer who requested the probe gave me a command like this as a starting point:
    ssh admin@svc "svcinfo lsvdisk" | awk '{print $2, $7, $8, $10}'
    This was a command she had be using from a Unix host to get the data from the SVC.  I was able to write a Perl probe to do the same thing more or less.  Through the magic of SSH public/private key pairs, the probe can do this without needing a password or anything.

The trick is being able to run your data collection command from a host that can run a NimBUS robot.  There are usually many ways of doing this kind of thing, so you just have to find the right combination.  For example, if the data you need is available at a URL, you might be able to use the logmon probe to process information from that URL.

Regards,
    Keith