DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

User Tags and the NAS

• 1.  User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 26, 2011 06:32 PM

I apologize ahead of time if this is a stupid question, but having said that, I was hoping it's a relatively quick question\answer.  I'm trying to setup an AO profile that sends an email based on when an alarm comes from the CDM probe and I want to use User Tags.  I have gone and applied a User Tag to every server in our environment and was hoping I could email alarms off of these.  The reason I went with User Tags is to differentiate by physical site within the company.  So when I setup an AO profile for Site1 and want to send out emails based on alarms from the CDM probe and populate the AO profile with just the User Tag and probe name, it doesn't work.  Is this possible?  Am I approaching this wrong? I have tested this over and over again and I can not get it to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 03:21 AM

I've done this a number of times and haven't experienced any issues, I think you must be missing something here... Did you verify that the User Tag is actually working on the controllers?

For a sanity check, something I typically show new users is how they can open the Alarm Console in the Infrastructure Manager, then, using the Alarm Filter, can slowly add new criteria to the fields, hit apply, and see how it updates the output/alarm view, once they have something that works they basically just need to copy the strings to the same fields in the NAS AO Profile.
    Try setting up your filters like I described above and see if that helps at all... Another option is to open the NAS, go to the Status tab, right click on an alarm that matches up with the criteria you're looking for and select "Create: Auto Operator Profile" - it then jumps you into the new AO Profile and from here you can remove the unwanted strings.
    Hope this helps,
    Dustin

• 3.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 05:57 PM

Hey Dustin,

Thanks for the feedback.  If I go to the alarm and create the AO profile, that is very helpful.  But the problem is, I don't want to have to specify every robot within the AO profile, so that's why I wanted to utilize the User Tags.  I basically setup the User Tags on a per site basis so that I can email the alerts to the appropriate staff at those sites.  I have attached a screen shot of one of the profiles that I have setup that I can't get to work.  Maybe you can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 4.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 06:14 PM

After you create an AO profile from an alarm, you should be able to edit the criteria and remove the fields (like robot name) that you do not wish to use. If you only remove fields from the criteria, the profile should continue to match the original alarm and then probably start to match more. Creating an AO profile from an alarm is just a way to help get you started. It is normal to edit the profile manually after creating it.

-Keith

• 5.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 06:40 PM

Is that Receipent setup in the email gateway or as nimsoft user account.?   We use user tags extensivly and send email off them without a hitch.  I would make sure that filter matches the alarm as well.  Also just looking at the nas log should tell you if the profile gets matched.

• 6.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 10:19 PM

Dustin,

I tried your suggestion with regards to the Alarm Filter and I can filter my alarm with exactly how I want the AO profile to work and when I try and apply it, I never get the alarm email.  Looking at the nas log, it never makes it out.  I also tried your second suggestion and slowly removed a piece at a time, but I can never get it to work without specifying the actual server (the server needs to be specified someplace, be it in the host name, robot or the source IP).

Anyone else have any suggestions?

• 7.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 10:24 PM

Can you post a screenshot of one of the alarms that you want to match this AO profile? That might help us visualize the setup a bit more.

Are you currently getting email through the emailgtw from other AO profiles? What do you mean "it never makes it out" based on nas.log? Do you see an error in the log or nothing at all?

-Keith

• 8.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 10:46 PM

Hey Keith,

In the nas log, I see this when I delete an existing alarm that should trigger my AO profile: Trigger state changed to TRUE , '__INTERNAL:Global - CPU, Disk, Memory'.  I would expect that, based on other alarms, that I would see Action: Email after that if it was successful.  I get emails for other alarms without a problem.

I have attached some screenshots.

I appreciate the help Keith!

• 9.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 11:27 PM

The configuration looks right to me based on what I see so far. You said that you tried filtering your alarm console view using the same fields as your AO profile, and that showed you the right alarm(s), correct?

Stupid question, but you are sure there are no spaces or anything like that after the user tag value on the robot and in the AO profile, right? Sorry, had to ask...

-Keith

• 10.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 11:30 PM

That is correct Keith.  That's what is so puzzling to me.  I thought of that myself, so just to be safe, deleted and readded the user tag on that specific robot.  Totally understandable, no worries.

I'm stumped at this point.  Should I open a case with technical support?

I appreciate everyone's input on this!

• 11.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 27, 2011 11:50 PM

For the alarm in the screenshot you attached (or any test alarm you have used for that matter), did it originally open as a major alarm? Or could it have opened as a minor alarm and then esclated to a major alarm later? If that were the case, I am not sure how that would affect the "on overdue age" mode of the profile. I suspect it was probably major from the start, but I thought I should ask since the alarm details do not really indicate one way or the other.

One more dumb question. You did not end up with an operating period in the AO profile somehow, did you? Have you also checked the other tabs within the AO profile for strange settings?

The only other things I would potentially do before opening a support case are testing using different AO actions (like generating a new alarm rather than sending email) or make tweaks to the criteria (like making sure it matches some alrams when the user tag is removed from the criteria or when the probe name is removed). You have probably already done some or all of this anyway. I might also turn the loglevel way up to see if maybe the NAS explicitly says when it tries to match the alarm with each profile and why they do not match. That might be a long shot, but it would be tremendously informative if that information were to appear in the log.

You could also try to specify a regular expression as the user tag match in the AO profile. Start with /Calgary Windows/. If that actually works, you should try /^Calgary Windows$/ and see what happens.

Otherwise it looks to me like you might need to open a case with support. Someone else (like Dustin) may spot a configuration issue that I have missed, but you could get the wheels rolling with support anyway. You can always close the case if you get it working without the help of support.

Keep us posted. This is a strange one.

-Keith

• 12.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Posted Jan 28, 2011 12:19 AM

The alarm probbly did start as a minor alarm awhile back, but we're talking months ago.  I have tried all of you suggestions and haven't had any luck.  I have looked at every setting imaginable and can't seem to find anything weird or out of place.  I'll try turning up the log level to see if that gives me any info (I have it at level 3 now).  I'll also try the expression you mention to see if I can get a match on that.

If none of that spurs anything, then I'll open a case tomorrow morning and see what happens.  I will definitely keep you guys posted.  I appreciate everyone's time and effort on this.

Thanks!

• 13.  Re: User Tags and the NAS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 29, 2011 12:00 AM

Mike,

From my testing of this the nas doesn't seem to process the profile as you would expect, generate an alarm and send out an email when there is a space in the User Tag. Essentially, I tested using your basic config after reviewing your document. and User tag of Production versus Production System. 'Production works', 'Production System' does not. So try it with 'ProductionSystem' - no spaces.

Steve