AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only
  • 1.  IO_PURGE vs. on the fly purge

Posted Mar 17, 2009 06:22 AM
    Reading the last post regarding that topic, I understood that on-the-fly-purge is an old technique and replaced by IO_PURGE. Parameters regarding on-the-fly-purge in uxsetenv should be commented or deleted.
    Is that right?
    I was told
    - IO_PURGE replaces uxpurge delivered in uproc IU_PUR
    - each purge deletes entries in different file, so they are complementary.

In an earlier post we also adjusted the parameters for IO_PURGE in file u_purge_param.ref to the definitions for the on-the-fly-purge in uxsetenv

Please tell me whether I should replace on-the-fly-purge by IO_PURGE or not.

Thanks a lot

Monika

• 2.  IO_PURGE vs. on the fly purge

Posted Mar 17, 2009 07:17 AM
    Hi Monika,

both uxpurge and on-the-fly-purge (AKA continuous purge, handled by the Launcher) are indeed replaced by the new online purge (composed of a dynamic purge performed by the Launcher and of a non-dynamic purge performed cyclically by the IO server) as of release V5.3.3 of Dollar Universe.

Parameters regarding on-the-fly-purge in the uxsetenv* and *.def files should be commented or deleted, but only for the sake of clarity, as when you activate the new online purge (by setting variable U_IO_PURGE_ENABLE to Y and defining the u_purge_param.ref file), the existing settings of the on-the-fly-purge are ignored. I would recommend to comment them though /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

uxpurge should not be executed any more.

So you should replace uxpurge and on-the-fly-purge by the new online purge (IO_PURGE as you call it).

As usual, I would recommend to test the change in a test environment before going live.

Michel

• 3.  IO_PURGE vs. on the fly purge

Posted Mar 17, 2009 08:10 AM
    Hi Michel,

Thanks you for the answer.
    I will then remove the definitions of on-the-fly-purge.

Just one remark:
    I ran uxpurge to test if there is still something to delete in any of these files.
    Both newer purges do not completly replace uxpurge.

Regards
    Monika

• 4.  IO_PURGE vs. on the fly purge

Posted Mar 17, 2009 09:18 AM
    Hi Monika,

have you been able to understand which elements are being purged by uxpurge and not by the new online purge? Then we would go for a reproduction test.

If you have the information, I would suggest you post it here and also open a call at Dollar Access. I'll work with them so we detect what can cause this.

Michel