Last month, I talked about being proactive with API monitoring, as even one API down, out of the hundreds in an app can create a negative user experience. The conversation was all about API monitoring for downtime. But what about API performance? An API can be up and running, but still be causing users headaches. "Hidden" API fails like internal latency, response time, back-end performance and overall throughput - these all impact the end user, and ultimately can cost you, as in todays app economy, it's far too easy to simply stop using one app and finding another that does the same thing.
So how can you take API monitoring to the next level? In addition to up-time, ideally you'd want:
- Detailed insight into APIs and microservices, including metrics
- Real-time, in-depth visibility into critical API and microservice performance data, including transaction tracing
- Detailed monitoring of the apps performance
Sure, your API gateway provides tremendous insights into APIs, but lacks the depth of analysis and the related impact of performance on critical business services. And while Runscope is an incredible tool (and SO easy to get started with), it also lacks the same depth of analysis and related impact.
What you really need is Precision API Monitoring - a solution from CA that provides:
- Proactive identification, contextualization and triage of all application performance issues with API-oriented root causes, reducing overall Mean Time to Repair (MTTR)
- Detailed visualization and tracing of all transactions traversing the API Gateway, across all services, with correlation to all related back end systems
- Collaboration across development, engineering and integration teams to optimize API design, implementation and adaptation, along with necessary policy compliance
To learn more about Precision API Monitoring, I'd like to invite you to an upcoming webcast, Gain W(5) Visibility, taking place October 24th at 9am (PST)). Brian Whitmarsh, Sr. Director, Product Management for CA Technologies Agile Operations Business Unit, will be discussing API monitoring in depth, and showcase Precision API Monitoring, an API monitoring solution that's tightly integrated with CA API Management.