VMware Workstation

View Only

Audio Issues with VMware Workstation 17.5.2

• 1.  Audio Issues with VMware Workstation 17.5.2

Posted 29 days ago
      |   view attached

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing significant audio issues in my virtual machines using VMware Workstation 17.5.2. My host OS is Windows 11 23H2, and the guest OS is Windows 10 LTSB 2016, although I've noticed the problem persists across all guest operating systems I've tested.

The main issue is that the audio has a lot of static and crackling noises. I tried changing the virtual sound card to es1371 by editing the .vmx file with sound.virtualDev = "es1371". While this eliminates the noise on Windows 7 and earlier versions, it doesn't work on Windows 8 and later. Additionally, even when it works, recording audio introduces significant noise and abnormalities, especially when monitoring the recording in real-time.

I also tested the same setup on VirtualBox and found that using Windows DirectSound eliminated the static and crackling issues. However, I couldn't find a similar option in VMware Workstation.

Is there a way to resolve these audio issues in VMware Workstation, or could a feature like Windows DirectSound be added in future versions to address this problem? I've attached the diagnostic files from VMware for further analysis.

Thank you for your assistance!

Attachment(s)