Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  can i install forefront protection and sep unmanaged on edge server 2010.

Posted Feb 05, 2011 05:31 AM

forefront protection is installed on my Edge server 2010 and iam planning to install Sep unmanaged client on it. Does it make any conflict between both.

• 2.  RE: can i install forefront protection and sep unmanaged on edge server 2010.

Posted Feb 05, 2011 11:41 AM

Hope you get a resolution here.

• 3.  RE: can i install forefront protection and sep unmanaged on edge server 2010.

Posted Feb 05, 2011 11:47 AM

Yes, you  should NOT insatll two antivirus  softwares on any  computer. There could  be conflict. This general practise  also applies  to SEP.

• 4.  RE: can i install forefront protection and sep unmanaged on edge server 2010.
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 05, 2011 11:57 AM

I wouldn't recommend it. There is no reason to have two different antiviruses running on the same machine, especially a server. Both clients will be fighting with one another for resources as well as both scanning the same file when accessed. You will see high CPU usage, resources being drained, and possibly corruption.

Also, if both find a virus, both will try to lock the file and not allow access to it further. This will only bring your system to a crawl and possible crash.

If you feel the need to have additional protection on the client, I would download the free version of Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro. Both are simply second opinion malware scanners and will not consume any resources if not in use. If you suspect a virus, which your current AV is not catching, you can then run either one of these for a second opinion.

• 5.  RE: can i install forefront protection and sep unmanaged on edge server 2010.

Posted Feb 07, 2011 04:51 AM

Hi Mzaki,

Do you mean forefront for scanning the Exchange server's mail traffic, and SEP for keeping the server's OS safe?

That should be OK.  SEP does not scan the Exchange server's SMTP stream: that needs to be done by a speciail product like Symantec Mail Security for MS Exchange or like MS's Forefront.

If your Forefront is a MS product that scans the OS, then do not put SEP on the serve as welll.  Only one should ever be installed on a computer.

Please let the forum know if this advice has solved your question or if there is additial assistance needed!

Thansk and best regards,

Mick

• 6.  RE: can i install forefront protection and sep unmanaged on edge server 2010.

Posted Feb 07, 2011 06:10 AM

Yes you can install 2 Antivirus on 1 machine. However make sure you disable the Real TIme Antivirus Scan on 1 antivirus..So that both AV's don't scan the same file and conflict.