Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP (12.1.4 MP1 Agent Upgrade )

Posted Jul 25, 2014 01:54 AM

Hello All , I hope everyone is doing . I have a requirement would really appreciate if you can help. Following is my envoirement.

1. 2 SEPM's running which are both upgraded to the latest version 12.1.4 MP1

2. The group structure hierarchy have diffrent groups which included respective endpoints residing in them

3. I have about 2600 endpoints running on the version 12.1.3. Initially they were deployed using SCCM.

4. Now I have a decision to make whether upgrade them via SCCM or SEPM Autoupgrade feature

The problem which I feel I Would have if I use SCCM is that the clients would go to the same group which was exported from SEPM that includes the policies.  So eventually all the endpoints will be go the same group. It is not like that SCCM wont effect the group hierachy and endpoints will be updated gracefully in
    their respective groups.

Now I intended to upgrade the endpoints via SEPM Autoupgrade feature becuase it is more feasible in my current scenerio. It will gracefully upgrade the endpoints and wont have any adverse effect on the group hierachy meaning endpoints will remain in their group they wont bounce among the groups.

Now the clients of mine is requiring the apporach or methadology that should be used to carry out this process of endpoint upgrade as per Symantec Best Practices that fits best in my current scenrio .

So I would be really greatful if you can kindly share an approach with me regarding the upgrade.  Againt there are about 2600 endpoints so would it have any impact on the bandwith using AutoUpgrade. Please share your suggestions in this regard.

Thanks & Regards,

• 2.  RE: SEP (12.1.4 MP1 Agent Upgrade )

Posted Jul 25, 2014 02:00 AM

I suggest you can use autoupgrade feature and you can upgrade client group wise so any bandwidth cause issue not received.

Upgrade clients to SEP 12.1 using Auto upgrade feature

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/upgrade-clients-sep-121-using-auto-upgrade-feature

How to upgrade Symantec Endpoint Protection clients using the Auto-Upgrade feature

Article:TECH96789  | Created: 2009-01-14  | Updated: 2014-04-11  | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96789

• 3.  RE: SEP (12.1.4 MP1 Agent Upgrade )

Posted Jul 25, 2014 02:02 AM

You can use the autoupgrade feature for your scenrio.

You can apply the autoupgrade schedule at non peak hour and complete the task one by one on all the group.

• 4.  RE: SEP (12.1.4 MP1 Agent Upgrade )

Posted Jul 25, 2014 02:03 AM

You can use the autoupgrade feature for your scenrio.

You can apply the autoupgrade schedule at non peak hour and complete the task one by one on all the group.

• 5.  RE: SEP (12.1.4 MP1 Agent Upgrade )

Posted Jul 25, 2014 02:08 AM

Guys thanks for your replies. would appreciate if you can shed some light on the following

1. What are Symantec's best practices when it comes to upgrade via Auto Upgrade

2. How much days or time period should I span this upgrade

3. How much bandwith impact I would have ?

4. All the clients would be applied in a group when the package is applied to it ? Upgrade one group at a time ?

Thanks and Regards,

• 6.  RE: SEP (12.1.4 MP1 Agent Upgrade )

Posted Jul 25, 2014 02:21 AM

What are Symantec's best practices when it comes to upgrade via Auto Upgrade

How to upgrade Symantec Endpoint Protection clients using the Auto-Upgrade feature

Article:TECH96789  |  Created: 2009-01-14  |  Updated: 2014-04-11  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96789

How much days or time period should I span this upgrade

You can be schedule at non working days and applied a single group in a day.

For remote location use the remoteclient tool which is available in tool folder of sepm.

How to push deploy clients in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.x

Article:TECH164327  |  Created: 2011-07-11  |  Updated: 2014-04-30  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164327

All the clients would be applied in a group when the package is applied to it? Upgrade one group at a time?

Upgrade one group at a time then check the status of that group after that applied on other.

• 7.  RE: SEP (12.1.4 MP1 Agent Upgrade )
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 25, 2014 02:24 AM

What are Symantec's best practices when it comes to upgrade via Auto Upgrade

Best practices for upgrading to the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.x

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163700

1. How much days or time period should I span this upgrade

2. How much bandwith impact I would have ?

Upgrade Schedule lets you control the time of the client computer upgrade.

- From, To:

• Specifies a range of time over which to install packages. If the From and To times match, the upgrades start immediately.

- Distribute upgrades over:

• Specifies the number of days or hours over which the packages can be distributed.
    • The following formula calculates time:
    •  

• (Package Size\Server Transfer Rate) * Number of Computers

as

MB / MB per second * Num = seconds

1. All the clients would be applied in a group when the package is applied to it ? Upgrade one group at a time ?   Yes when you will add package that time SEP client upgrade and you can calculate as per above calulates time frame and update one or two group at a time.

• 8.  RE: SEP (12.1.4 MP1 Agent Upgrade )

Posted Jul 25, 2014 05:48 AM

Thanks all for your valuable and prompt response. appreciate it